[lro] Steering Relay - that damned spring....

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 09:02:00 EST

    > I'm a little afraid of heating it because of
    > the spring inside the relay..

    Everybody worries about that spring - it's nothing to be
    concerned with unless you indulge in gross incompetence.
    I'm not addressing this specifically to John - I've gotten
    more than a few emails over time with folks afraid to deal
    with a relay because they're afraid it's going to explode
    like a shrapnel bomb from the power of the spring.

    The spring itself is quite captive - it's held in its place
    by the force of its own compression against the cone
    bushings, and the bearing plates top and bottom as well.
    Unless you get the whole relay cherry-red and literally
    burn out the fiber bushings it won't escape the first
    capture, and the second will get it in any case. Of course,
    the relay will be scrap by then.

    I've tanken more than a few of these apart and rebuilt them
    - compared to a garage-door spring or the like that thing
    in the relay is less than powerful. Admittedly, tapping the
    shaft out with your face over the other end would be quite
    stupid, but the disassembly force vectors aren't a
    nightmare. If you tap the shaft and bushings out the first
    thing that happens is the bushings on the exit end go
    sideways, and the spring decompresses and pops up. The
    Rover process of tying a sock over the exit point to
    capture the bits works quite well - the total force
    involved is not great and this works very well to contain
    the flying bits.

    Don't be dumb, wear your safety glasses and take care but
    dont be afraid of the damned thing..... -ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com