Re: [lro] OT: attachments

From: Nick Danger (nick@hackermonkey.com)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 22:06:44 EST

    On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 21:38, Solihull@aol.com wrote:

    > I just don't get it. Literally. Someone sends me an attachment, usually
    > something that could have gone in the body of the email. I faithfully
    > download it, and when I open it, all I get is the same old email saying to
    > download the attachment. So my question is twofold, all ye who are more tech
    > savvy than I;
    > 1. Why does that happen? (A real question)

    Because the email application you are using doesn't know the correct way
    to deal with whatever the content is (MIME attachment type) and so it
    tells you that you have to download it. This happens to me regularly
    when people who use M-soft programs somehow end up sending email not as
    text/plain type but rather as application/ms-word type. Very annoying.
    Compounded when you find out they only quoted your entire email and
    replied with 'Yes.'

    > 2. What *is* this strange desire to attach stuff that could just as easily be
    > pasted inside the email? (A rhetorical question)

    I don't think its people really attaching things. I think its mostly the
    fault of bad email applications. It was annoying enough when I used to
    have to weed through HTML instead of plain text (oh the joys of 'pine'),
    and its only gotten worse.

    > And please don't tell me to get a PC; that just brings on a host of troubles

    Heck no. Suggesting a happy Mac'er get a PC is like telling one of us to
    trade our Rovers in for something else. :-) All OS's have their
    problems, its just a matter of which ones you see as problems and which
    you see as 'features'. [And if *I* were going to suggest anything, it
    would be Linux.]

    -Nick