[lro] It Runs!!!!

From: artbitt@netscape.net
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 17:39:41 EST

    The 'Vark is back on the road!

    Got the cam pully on right. LAst week when I first tried starting her she was blowing out through the carby; had the cam pulley off a tooth or three. Used the cam pulley from old engine which had the proper marking("New" one had no markings) and used the crank pully from old engine also (had timing marks on the front of engine)

    Hit the starter and on the second turn she fired up!. 60 psi at 2000 rpm, temp in right place, runs SMOOTH! Had a leak from trhe water pump, so off with radiator and water pump and made a new gasket. Now water and oil tight-from the engine...

    Drove over to my partners house. Lots more power (gas pedal not buried in firewall) parked in his driveway and was showing it off to his wife and kids (the kids painted the new engine) Then we noticed the oil dripping from crossmember onto his driveway. Appearrs to be 90 wt (thick and black; oil in engine is still clean) so may have buggered up the seal on gearbox when we were fitting the new engine. Believe if it was the rear seal on the engine, the oil drippage would be clean also.

    Going to run it keeping an eye on the 90 wt level and maybe, hopefully, miracles do happen even to us old fat guys, it'll seal itself again!

    Funny thing! Driving back, I was impatient with the cars in front of me going too slow! That is a change!

    Art
    1960 SII "Aardvark"

    "On the Road Again"