[lro] More Power!

From: Paul Schultz (pschultz@vcmails.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 22:07:42 EST

    Well,

    I am not surprised at all...I knew what I was getting into...BUT!

    After owning my 109 SW for 1 month I definitely plan on upgrading the
    engine. I just don't feel safe driving in modern traffic. I won't even
    consider the expressways!

    But, I've prepared for this. While shopping for my truck I also researched
    my powerplant options. I want to go with the Mercruiser type option. The
    option is to go with an actual Mercruiser 4 cylinder (which I shouldn't have
    a problem getting locally) or the actual Robert Davis engine. The Mercruiser
    is more viable now that Robert has advertised selling various engine
    conversion kits (everthing needed minus the engine).

    I actually have a line on a 2000 Mercruiser. But, I don't know if this
    "newer" engine has all the same features that allow the older versions to be
    so readily useable in a Series truck (i.e., bellhousing bolt pattern, etc.)

    Anyone know anything about the "newer" Mercruiser engine. Any changes that
    would make the conversion less appealing?

    ...and of course, gearbox/transfer case considerations will also be made.
    I'm leaning toward the Ashcroft hi speed transfer case. The Rover Drive
    sounds nice. But, the Ashcroft would do the job as well and comes a little
    cheaper!

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Paul Schultz
    pschultz@vcmails.com