[lro] Galvanizing question

From: Simon J. Harding (sharding@schulte-law.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 13:33:24 EST

    There's no substitute for the real thing.

    The sprays leave patches. You can rub it out to leave a "film" over the
    top which will look ok and give a measure of protection.

    My cappings were painted and I stripped the paint and they weren't too bad
    underneath.

    I stripped mine with aircraft stripper and a wooden or plastic scraper and a
    ton of paper towels. No disresepct to Lonn, but I would not dream of using
    a wire brush. At one point I used a scotch brite and it went right through
    the galvanizing. I think a wire brush will eat the remaining galvy under
    your paint.

    I've stripped and regalvy'd some of mine over time, and right now,
    everything that can be easily regalvy'd is off, awaiting dipping. Its not
    so hard as you think to remove and have stuff dipped....

    Simon