Re: [lro] Shope Vacs

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 00:37:50 EST

    N Forbes wrote

    >Anyone have any tips on buying a shop vac? Thinking of just picking up a
    >Rigid from Home Depot but thought you lot might have some opinions on the
    >matter.

    There are a couple of things to consider. I only know the Rigid brand from
    the table saws they make which are first class so I am assuming that their
    shop vacs are or equal quality. If it is available, I would recommend
    hunting down a permanent and cleanable filter to replace the paper/foam
    that likely comes standard. Lee Valley Tools sells permanent filters for
    Shop Vac and Sears and possibly Rigid.

    These things are loud. Spend a couple of dollars and get some disposable
    foam ear plugs. I get a perceptible ringing in the ears after using my 10
    gal model for several minutes when I forget to put in plugs. I've lost a
    fair bit of my top end hearing from the days when I flew bush aircraft
    before it was de rigeur to wear headsets so I am a little sensitive to
    potential hearing robbers.

    My wife, Catherine, is a classical music producer and wears the full deal
    hearing protector headset when she uses the vacuum.

    Don't underestimate the noise these things produce.

    The main use of "Big Bertha" as we call the Shop Vac is to clean up after
    the two Border Collies. No ordinary house vacuum can deal with the bales
    of hair they can shed.

    But it has twice come in handy for cleaning up after a plugged basement
    drain and an overflowing washing machine. So, a wet and dry model is
    recommended.

    As a household vacuum these things are not very handy. The plastic hoses
    are stiff and the vacuums have a tendency to tip over when you try to drag
    them around the house. A cement block in the bottom will help with both
    problems quite nicely.

    If we didn't have two Border Collies I think a short broom and a dustpan
    would do us quite nicely.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO