[lro] Engine ID

From: Paul Schultz (pschultz@vcmails.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 23:15:16 EST

Since my drive train and chassis supposedly comes from a 1980 military 109
I'd like to determine if I have a 3 main bearing or 5mb engine. The PO
didn't know. How do I find out? I have a number off the front left side of
the cylinder head (6MC248448). I assume it is a 3mb. But, I'm curious.
Didn't the 5mb come out in 1980?

Also, I tried to find the chassis VIN number on the right front horn....not
there. I think the front horns may have been replaced. But, I'm not sure.
They both look welded in place. But they are uniform and very neat. I guess
these would have been factory welded portions of the chassis. So, I guess it
is possible the front horns are original. Is there another location for the
chassis number? I was looking on the outside facet of the right front horn.
This is where I was told to look. Remember, my ID plate and VIN on the
bulkhead is from the 1967 truck that supplied the tub/body for the vehicle.
I just want to investigate the complete heritage of all the components of my
rig.

Thanks,

Paul Schultz
pschultz@vcmails.com