[lro] Update on the "Aardvark"

From: artbitt@netscape.net
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 23:02:48 EST

Got the new engine in today. Couple more hours of work manana and she should be under power again!

Hardest part of the job was moving the hoist on damp grass! Got the old lump up in the air, and the casters on the hoist had sunk in the sod. Had to chain the hoist to the bumper of the Dodge and SLOWLY yank it forward. Whilst my partner was bolting the flywheel and clutch to the new lump, I went to Lowes and got a cheap (??!!!???) sheet of plwood and we ran the hoist on that.

Getting the new engine to mate with the gearbox was a PITA as always! Jack up gearbox, shove a little, rearrange engine angle, try again, etc, etc. Finally found the sweet spot (had our tongues in the right spot in our cheeks, so to speak) and all of a sudden it slid home. Quick trip inside the cab to get a nut or two on the studs so it wouldn't slide of, and Bob's yer uncle!

Another problem was the hoist legs were too wide for the 'Varks track-had to remove one of the wheels to get it in place. Last thing I did today was to re-install the front wheel, when I noticed the jack stand still under the frame! (used the Hi-Lift under front bumper to jack up truck) Another thing to get out manana!

Couple things which had me concerned turned out to be no problem. THe old engine was a SIII, new is a SII. Had read that the flywheel on the SII had two locating dowels, SIII had 3 (or vise versa) turned out both had one. Getting the distributor drive in was fun. Getting that grub screw located in the bushing was timew consuming. Finally got it lined up, fitted the distributor-seems to be out (rotor points the wrong way) Going to run the wires on the cap different rather that trying to redo the drive!

Got the distributor mounted as well as the oil filter installed and started on the mainfolds. Had a stopping point when I needed some nuts (new head use's studs in places were the old head used bolts) Got to pull it off again as I forgot to install the dip stick tube (manifolds interfere with screwing into engine). Will fit the starter as well with manifolds off; easier to get into proper spot !

Of course I left the camera at the shop, so no pics! Will take some of the finished job!

Did a small autopsy on the old engine. Found an intact (minus bearing) rod cap and part of the rod in the sump, along with the wrist pin. Looks like the bolts failed and that was all she wrote! Have a feeling when it went, it also took out the water jacket; when I was draining the oil this morning, got a lot of antifreeze out of the sump before the oil came out (so thats why the radiator was empty!) Will pull the pan on the old engine once I get the new running and I get back from my trip to Mom's this next weekend and see what else went.

Anybody need a boat anchor?-for sale cheap-one knackered block!

--
Art Bitterman
1960 SII, "Aardvark"

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp