[lro] Re: diesel

From: Bradley_Harris@aigag.com
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 12:52:34 EST

    What do you want to know? I have been looking at this engine for a little
    while. I am thinking about purchasing one that is here in the US. The
    distributor in Atlanta is currently looking into parts manuals and workshop
    manuals. They say they can order parts. The engine appears to be a perfect
    fit in a series vehicle. The power and torque rating are also great. I am
    working out the transmission adapter and gearing and would be interested in
    knowing if they do put those in the Defender in Brazil. I am looking at the
    Sprint 2.8 with Bosch mechanical injection. It uses a VE 14 rotary pump and
    the local Bosch diesel service place said he can work on it. I like the
    gear driven timing. The vacuum pump and power steering pump are gear driven
    off the timing gears.

    MWM is trying to introduce more engines into the US. They have a new
    distributor in Texas and that distributor is currently testing engines for
    MWM. MWM has a marketing person just for the US and I have his e-mail but
    haven't contacted him.

    If luck and time permits, I'll have the engine in a LR in a few months and
    can give a full description and impression. I have heard VERY good things
    about these engines from everybody I have talked to about them. Ford was
    looking at the 2.8L sprint and it is one of those test engines I am looking
    into purchasing. VW commercial vehicles in Germany use the electronic
    version of this engine in the LT van. It is their premier engine in this
    vehicle and they (of course since they are trying to sell vehicles) give it
    great praise. In Brazil I know the engine is used in Chevy Blazers, Nissan
    Frontiers, Jeeps and other vehicles.

    I should have the engine in a few weeks (if everything works out) and
    hopefully I can answer more questions once I get my hands on it.

    Brad H.