Re: [lro] Autopsy on the Aardvark

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 23:22:11 EST

    > I'm driving around on a block that had a hole in it. A roller dropped
    > down and got pushed through into the waterjacket by the camshaft.
    >
    > N Forbes wrote:
    > >
    > > Come on now Art, don't get carried away. That's nothing a little J-B
    Weld
    > > won't fix ;-)

    No problem with patching up a block if it is a fairly useless area. One of
    my employers who used to race drag cars tells stories of trying to find the
    blown out pieces of grenaded race engines, so the local welder guy could
    patch the block back up. Imagine scouring the 1/4 mile at 3 am with a
    flashlight looking for dime sized pieces of engine block. Supposedly the
    more pieces they had, the cheaper the repair was. They would always end up
    fixing the side of the block as the rods would grenade at high rpms and I
    believe the water jackets in those blocks were almost completely filled with
    hardening stuff to stiffen them, so I doubt that a normal engine would
    withstand such a problem and be salvageable, but if the break is not
    structural (IE thin area, non load bearing area) it can probably be repaired
    adequately, provided the block has not been extensively damaged.

    Any competent welder (make that a very competent one ) can weld cast iron.
    It's not impossible, but it does take a lot of patience and skill. I'm a
    long way from mastering the skill, but I've messed around with it a bit and
    it's doable. I read that the Aardvark has a spare mill ready to go, but you
    might be able to salvage the other block. Otherwise, the block would make
    for an interesting coffee table support.

    J-L