Re: [lro] Howling noise when driving

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 17:15:34 EST

    > > If it's been driven without lube, the only way to tell is pull and inspect.
    >> If you take the chance and just fill with lube its still possible for
    >> something to lock up.
    >
    >Oh, bugger...
    >
    >> If you pull the drain plug and lube drains out then its probably not
    >> nessacary(sp)? to pull for an inspection.
    >
    >Well, I will find out on wednesday when I take a look.
    >
    >> Do you have a spare diff you can swap for the howling one?
    >> Some hand tools and a couple hours if you've never done one.
    >
    >I don't have one as I didn't know I would need one quite yet. Have done lots
    >of repairs and rebuilds to my cars so it should not be too difficult but my
    >main problem is the freezing weather and the fact that I do not have a garage.
    >So I can only do things that can be done outside or things that can be
    >finished completely in few hours (with success) so I can leave the temporary
    >garage (hourly fee) after the job is done.
    >
    >But...maybe I could find a temporary place for the job if I find a suitable
    >spare diff somewhere.

    The diff can be removed and restored in a hour or two, so if you have
    a spare, it's an easy job to do in an afternoon. A tranny jack is
    handy, as the diff weighs a bit, but you can manage without one.
    Inspect the axle shafts while you're at it, as they don't last for
    ever, and they're much easier to replace before they brake. Any
    evidence of twisting, or mangled splines, replace them both.

    David