[lro] Redoing engines, and the dangers inherent therein. Advice pls

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 22:47:10 EST

    I spent some time today going through the valve clearances on my machine
    and doing a compression check. Both went well but by the oddest
    coincidence I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure by a doctor
    whereas the Land Rover has a good bill of health. My personal health is of
    no consequence in this note other than the fact that it happened on the
    same day I was taking the "pressures" of the LR.

    Anyway, I got to thinking about Marin's problems with his LR's head, and
    just a couple of minutes ago Aardvark's problems, and I thought that a nice
    winter project for me might be to pull the head and have the valves etc redone.

    However, and it is a big however, I live in terror of Shipfitters
    Disease. I can well remember when Adrian Redmond (I wish he'd return to
    this list) started some innocuous little project and ended up with a
    rebuilt motor, a refurbished frame, and a tickety-boo body.

    I am afraid, very afraid, that if I pull the head to do the valves,
    although they are showing no signs of problems, I will end up delving deep
    into the engine and god knows what else.

    Because my SII has a three bearing engine I really don't want to tear the
    thing down and then decide on the expense of a new engine. Remember, there
    is nothing apparently wrong with my vehicle. But why try to overhaul an
    inherently weaker engine than a five bearing.

    Having said that, the longer I run a 43 year old vehicle without a
    comprehensive overhaul the more my chances of a catastrophic failure increase.

    What say you who have been this way before?

    Should I just give up and start planning a complete engine/gearbox/wiring
    etc overhaul?

    Or should I just take a stiff drink (not good for blood pressure I know)
    and let the enthusiasm pass?

                                                    Rick Grant

    International Strategic Communications and Media Relations
    Calgary Alberta
    www.rickgrant.com