[lro] The "Aardvark" is Hors De Combat!

From: artbitt@netscape.net
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 22:03:03 EST

    Been in the lurker mode on the digest for a while. Had some excitement this morning!

    Drivin' to my gunshop this morning, heard a loud bang and had a severe vibration.

    "WTF"!!!! thinks I as I shift into nuetral, switch off engine and coast into a handy driveway. Puffs of smoke and some oil on the ground. Pop open the bonnet, all looks normal. then I grab the Maglight and take a closer look.

    Underneath the manifolds, about 2-3 inches back from the dipstick a section of the block 4 X 5 inches in missing! I can see a rod Bolt! And the remains of the oil in the sump!

    Had her towed home.

    I do have the spare engine I rebuilt for a rainey day-guess it's now here! Gonna start tearing things down Sunday for the swaparooni!

    Had no indications that things were amiss. Was drivin' along sweet as peas, good oil pressure and all, when BANG she went!

    Oh well! Might be able to do more than 45 with the new engine (SII engine, bored 40 over, new pistons, bearings, valves and seats, 60 thou off head).

    Just realized I might bring on a scurge of "Nigels Disease". Sure hope not!

    --
    Art Bitterman
    1960 SII "Aardvark"

    __________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp