Re: [lro] wipers (was weatherstripping alternatives)

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 19:10:33 EST

    --- Tom Proctor <luckyjoe@ptd.net> wrote:

    > Wiper motor rebuilds - anything to watch out for while
    > disassembling the
    > wiper motors for a clean and re-lube?

    Yes - be careful of the fiber gear - do NOT soak it in
    solvent. These things are unobtainium. Also, the tubular
    shaft that holds the wiper shaft tends to get butted at the
    end where it connects to the wiper shaft. A fine file and a
    bit of patience filing the burr off will prevent it from
    hacking up the bearings in the casting when you withdraw it
    to clean the bearings.

    Other than that, just common sense and good work habits.

    > Grease? What is recommeended for inside the wiper motor?
    > Surely not what I
    > pump into the UJ's, what about lubriplate, or white
    > lithium, or..?

    I use a good all-purpose molybdenum grease - something that
    won't urn to rock in winter temps. Amalie makes a good
    grease for this. WHite lithium is too light in my opinion,
    as is lubriplate. You want something with some staying
    power in high temps.

                  ajr

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom Proctor

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://webhosting.yahoo.com