Re: [lro] RE: Changing the head

From: Rich Williams (lndrvr1@nwlink.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 12:18:05 EST

    > and what sort of shops tend to do this kind of work?

    Marin,

    If you are considering having the head rebuilt at a local shop I would
    suggest calling AutoSport in downtown Seattle. Actually, and just out of
    coincidence, they are located between the old Land Rover Seattle dealership
    and Cosmopolitan Motors (occasional Series trucks for sale amongst the
    Bugattis and Bentleys).

    If you are not familiar with them, they are almost like a dual business.
    Half machine shop and half parts shop. Strictly British stuff. The parts
    manager (Brad) is a wealth of info and has been around a long time. The
    guys in the machine shop (Johnnie (the owner) and ... I can't remember the
    other guy's name, darn it) have an outstanding reputation for their work.
    Because they have always been around the corner from the LR Dealership they
    have a lot of experience with LRs. Not just the coil sprung trucks, but the
    leafers too. They used to be a good local source for Series parts when
    there were more of those trucks on the streets.

    And speaking from personal experience, they did the machining on my SII
    block and rebuilt the head for use with unleaded fuels. They have also done
    all of the machining work for my dad as needed with the vintage Jaguars he's
    restored over the years.

    Usual disclaimer - no other relationship other than being a satisfied
    customer.

    Rich Williams
    '60 SII 109 SW
    '89 RR Classic