Re: [lro] RE: Changing the head

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 22:41:01 EST

If I had the money, I'd buy a stage 2 head from ACR.
It's higher compression, ported, polished and claims a
big increase in oomph. While I had the head off would
stick in a 2.5 or ACR Cam. The cam isn't that
expensive and simple to install with the head off.

An RN or Wise Owl head is a stock head with the
unleaded exhaust seats and valves. Won't help with
performance except to bring it back to stock
compression. Before I went that route, I'd check the
price for machining from a reputable local machinist.
They should be able to provide the parts and do all
the machining for $4-500. A lot less than the $1,000
figure you're throwing around. Whatever route you go,
be sure they use the external 'top hat' valve seals
and buy new single valve springs. The old dual inner
springs knock off the 'top hat' seals leaving you with
an oil burner.

Aloha
Peter O.