Re: [lro] Welding Galvanized Metal Safely

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 19:22:46 EST

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >Anybody aware of the safety recommendations for MIG welding galvanized
    >metals safely? I'm plann to finish up the replacement footwells in a
    >Series III over the weekend and don't want to inhale any bad stuff!

    Grind away the coating from the area to be welded. If you don't, it
    will get vaporized anyway, so the protection will be lost. That
    avoids the potential health problems. If you don't grind it off, you
    need to use somewhat higher heat and slower travel, to allow a weld
    puddle that is molten for long enough to allow the zinc to bubble
    out. You also need to use a heavily deoxidized wire.

    You could also use a silicon bronze welding wire with 100% Argon
    shielding gas. This requires less surface prep, as the silicon
    bronze filler has good affinity for the zinc, resulting in much less
    loss to evaporation. Silicon bronze also has greater corrosion
    resistance than steel fillers, so it's not always necessary to repair
    the damaged galvanized surface. That's probably a moot point, since
    you're likely going to be painting the footwells, but it's a big win
    for things like HVAC use -- And galvanized chassises, too. You still
    don't want to breath the fumes, but good ventilation should be
    enough without needing a positive pressure system.

    I recently welded some panels into one of my galvanized footwells --
    covering the holes for the pedals to pass through and filling
    various bolt holes and the like, so I could cut a different set of
    holes for a new heater. I merely ground the zinc away from the
    edges to be welded, and welded with mild steel wire, then painted.
    Were I doing modification to a galv'd chassis, I think I would go to
    the trouble of getting a 100% argon bottle and silicon bronze wire.

    David