Re: [lro] TD5 110 in US

From: Paul Oxley (paul@adventures.co.za)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 00:10:01 EST

    On 14 Nov 2002 at 12:37, Peter Ogilvie wrote:

    > From the reliability survey that you guys have done,
    > it would look like the 300tdi is very unforgiving of
    > being overheated, also. From memory, most of the
    > engine failures were caused by loss of coolant. Some
    > from radiators but way too many from hose failures.

    True. Even in the (2nd) instance of TD5 engine demise last week, the bottom hose to the
    radiator cracked when the vehicle was about a year and a half old. When the bottom hose
    goes there is NO WARNING, and by the time the vehilce comes to a halt the damage has
    been done. The owner contacted Land-Rover On Call, they brought a rollback and took took
    the vehicle to the stealer who replaced the hose and coolant, plugged the vehicle into the
    testbook and pronounced it 'good as new'. Now, two years later, once out of warranty the
    owner can take the vehicle to a non-stealer who discovers the reason behind the lack of
    power, etc.

    > If the TD-5 is like the 300tdi, it's not prone to
    > overheating problems, it's extremely intolerant of
    > being overheated.

    The TDi has been dubbed the TDie, and the TD5 the TDead for this reason.

    > Our good old 2
    > 1/4 iron lumps are extremely tolerant of cooling
    > abuses like running with little or no water.

    As is the V8. It will run thousands of miles with almost no water, no oil, or major internal
    engine bits broken.

    > The more
    > modern engines with their mix and match alloy parts
    > and much tighter tolerances don't seem to be nearly as
    > tolerant of abuse.

    The V8 has an ally block and cast iron heads (?), but you're correct, tolerances aren't as
    strict.

    > The old lump may be slow and thirsty, but it keeps on
    > running despite all that I've done to it.

    Amen, brother.

    Regards

    Paul Oxley
    AfricanAdrenalin.com

    IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
    addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
    confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with
    low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If
    you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
    copying of this email is not authorised (either explicitly or
    implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.