[lro] Oil bumper (was preparation for a trip)

From: C. Marin Faure (faurecm@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 01:53:48 EST

    From: Keith Tanner <keith@miata.net>
    Subject: Re: [lro] preparation for a trip

    >On the Solihull Society rally in Moab, my spare points, condenser and fuel
    pump all got used by other people. On one day trip (that I wasn't on), one
    of the Rangies holed a front diff. They fixed it, but didn't have any extra
    90wt. I had 2 gallons :)

    Back in the Jurassic 1970s, I remember Atlantic British (not the same
    Atlantic British of today) carrying a replacement front bumper for the
    Series that carried something like five or six gallons of oil in it. Maybe
    even more- it's been awhile. The main crossmember was built in such a way
    that it was a sealed box section. No, I think that's wrong. Actually, I
    think the two tubular "bullbar" sections of this bumper that stuck up to
    protect the wing fronts were the containers that carried the oil.
    Whatever, it was a pretty clever idea, I thought. I didn't buy one,
    though, as they were pretty expensive for their day. But for someone
    taking a long trip with their Series, this made for a handy place to carry
    all the engine oil (or 90 wt if you wanted) that you'd need. I don't
    recall how you filled it, but there was a drain plug or valve underneath
    that you could hold a can under to get oil to put in the engine. I don't
    think this bumper is still available today, but it would be interesting to
    know if anyone on this list has a Series with the old "oil reservoir"
    bumper on it. As I recall, it was not made by or for Land Rover, but was
    an independently made aftermarket item, and may have been available only in
    the US.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88