[lro] Re: Hand Throttle

From: C. Marin Faure (faurecm@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 23:07:16 EST

From: Jim Blair <ceratos@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [lro] Hand Throttle
To: lro@koan.team.net

>My 73 SIII has a hand throttle too. Is that unusual for an SIII?

In 1973, the US-spec Model 88 Hardtop Deluxe (so far as I know, the only
model imported that year) listed the hand throttle as an option. There
were few options available at that time in the US, at least according to
the brochure. The hand throttle was one. The tropical roof was another,
as were the folding rear step and the spare tire carrier on the bonnet.
There were other items available of course, either from the UK or from the
parts houses in the US like Atlantic British in Northern California. But
the "offical" US-options list was pretty short.

I ordered a hand throttle with my vehicle, and the dealer installed it
before shipping the new vehicle to me in Hawaii. I don't know if diesel
SIIIs came with the hand throttle as standard as was the practice on the
earlier Series. I have not seen that many US-spec SIIIs, but of the ones I
have seen, only one or two had hand throttles. But they were easy enough
to add, and the parts houses in the 1970s carried them.

C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE