[lro] diesel idle (was heaters)

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 17:42:57 EST

    Peter Hope wrote:

    > > Just let the diesel idle all night long...everything inside the vehicle
    > stays toasty and no AM starting problems.

    Years ago I read an article in the New Yorker about the truckers that hauled

    oil field equipment from manufacturers in Texas to the North Slope in
    Alaska.
    This operation went on year round and probably, to a degree, still does
    today.
    In the winter, the trucks were never shut off from the day they left their
    Texas
    starting points to the day they returned. In northern BC, the Yukon, and
    Alaska,
    where it gets a wee bit cold, the trucks were left idling outside the motels
    where
    the drivers slept. Every hour, someone had to get up and go outside to
    run the trucks back and forth in the parking lot to keep the lube oil in the
    gearboxes
    and differentials from becoming congealed by the cold.