Re: [lro] Re: Zenith- wasn't Zenith this time

From: Bob & Sue Bernard (bobnsueb@saber.net)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 21:52:11 EST

    Hi,
    That too is a condenser similar to the one in the distributor. It is there
    to help eliminate radio static if I remember. The outer can is grounded by
    the mounting screw to the coil bracket to complete the circuit.
    Once my Chevy V8 died on the freeway, And me in a suit. I troubleshot it to
    a weak orange spark, so I looked inside the distributor and found the wire
    blown out of the condenser.
    Looking around and seeing the one on the plus side of the coil, All I did
    was move its lead to the negative side, which electrically is the same as
    being inside the distributor. parallel on the points to ground. This got me
    home and I used it for a few days until the weekend and I had extra time to
    fix it. I don't know its value in capacitance or how close it is really to
    the one inside, but it did work.
    When the condenser is the wrong value, it will cause the points to pit
    some, so I replaced both points and condenser anyway.

    Felt real proud of meself that time!

    Bob B

    Bob B