[lro] Haynes Manual for the Male Body

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 22:19:07 EST

    Reuters has an intriguing story out of London about the publication of a
    Haynes Service Manual for the male body.

    It can be found at
    "http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20
    021106/od_uk_nm/oukoe_health_men"

    Part of the rationale for the book (stunt) is evident in this quote,

    >"Men tend to have a mechanistic way of understanding themselves. They see
    >their body as bits that are bolted together,"

    And that's the problem with a Haynes manual right there. They all work on
    the assumption that the bolted together bits can be unbolted without the
    use of sledge hammers and grinders. Nothing in a Haynes manual is ever
    rusty, the wrong bit, or just utterly different from the manual. As for,
    "Reassembly is the reverse", yeah right.

    >If men are not "firing on all cylinders" the manual advises them to "get
    >to your man mechanic (doctor) for a check-up."
    >Faulty exhausts (constipation) can be fixed quite easily, it added. To
    >cope with the inevitable effects of ageing it advises a regular body
    >service to help keep you running like a Rolls Royce.

    I don't know about the analogy of a Rolls Royce. Somehow I like the idea
    of being able to accurately diagnose my own Land Rover problems and fix
    them quickly and cheaply instead of having to trot down to the local RR
    dealership for every little rattle. And besides, a little hypochondria
    keeps one interested in things.

    But I wonder if Haynes Publications will start a trend? Will we see
    "Psychiatric Diagnosis and Treatment for Dummies", or "The Idiot's Guide to
    Chest Surgery." ?

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO