Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #200 - 17 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:11:29 -0500 (EST)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: 2.25 redline--ashcroft tranfer (marko.cosic)
   2. Re: ashcroft tranfer (TeriAnn Wakeman)
   3. Re: ashcroft tranfer (Hope Peter)
   4. Re: ashcroft tranfer (Lonn & Rhonda)
   5. re ashcroft and stock engines (Samuel Chapin)
   6. Re: ashcroft tranfer (TeriAnn Wakeman)
   7. Re: re ashcroft and stock engines (TeriAnn Wakeman)
   8. 110 difflock and snow handling (Adrian Redmond)
   9. Cricket simplified (Edit 2)
  10. Diesel speed (William L Leacock)
  11. redline (William L Leacock)
  12. Re: ashcroft tranfer (Jean-Leon Morin)
  13. Re: 110 difflock and snow handling (Jim Laurel)
  14. Re: 110 difflock and snow handling (Jean-Leon Morin)
  15. Re: redline (Paul Oxley)
  16. Big tires on a little rover (was:ashcroft tranfer) (Hope Peter)
  17. Re: Cricket simplified (Paul Oxley)

--__--__--

Message: 1
From: "marko.cosic" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] 2.25 redline--ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:57:47 -0000
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Errrrrr.....bad idea.

A no-load scenario will do nothing but tell you the
"ultimate" redline where the engine simply refuses to
push any faster. That's limited by valve float and (if
I recall other conversations) is right around 5K or a
bit more.

>Sorry, thought that was the redline you were talking about - how fast until you
hit valve buonce/the carb strangles the engine.

--__--__--

Message: 2
Subject: Re: [lro] ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 01 08:18:11 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

If it were me I would probably go with the Ashcroft and the 4.1 R&P for 
that set up.

My guess is you would need at least the GM 6.5 turbo to find the 3.54 and 
Ashcroft combination  acceptable.  But then again, this is just a guess 
and I could be wrong.

Let us know how it works out in real life.

>
>GM 6.2 liter deisel.  NA for now, but in a year or so add on the banks tdi
>system ;-)
>Pete
>>
>> Zowie Pete,
>>
>> What are you using for a powerplant?

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

--__--__--

Message: 3
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:29:27 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> My guess is you would need at least the GM 6.5 turbo to find the 3.54 and
> Ashcroft combination  acceptable.  But then again, this is just a guess
> and I could be wrong.

Oops, I think two differnt emails got crossed here.
I meant I was using a 6.2 diesel....but not a ashcroft t-case.
I am using a 6.2, SM465, Dana 18, Salisbury rear.  with my 33" tires and the
4.7 rear end, top speed will be around 57mph, but this will be above the
power band.  there is an overdrive from advanced adapters for the 18, but
it's something like 1200$.  I thinkI would rather go to a 35" tire and 3.54
axles.  This works out to a max speed of 89mph at 3000 rpms, but 66mph at
2200 rpms whch looks to be the sweet spot of the power band for the 6.2.
Torque peek is 2200, HP peak was 3000.
I built a spread sheet looking at mph vs rpm in all four gears in the
1900-2400 rpm range.  from what I have read so far this is the best
operating area for the 6.2.  But it can go to a higher rpm when needed.
The Sm465 has a 6:1 first gear ratio.  With the axle and tire change my
final 1 low will still be lower then the stock rover stuff with the 33"
tires.
Pete

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: "Lonn & Rhonda" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:47:55 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Zowie is right Pete!  What kind of madness are you contemplating?  Are you
thinking of using an SM 420 coupled to a big diesel?

Inquiring mind wants to know...

Lonn

>
> That's my plan.  Only I am doing rangy gears and 35" tires.  With the GM
> tranny 1st will work out to lower then stock, and in 4th I will be able to
> hit 75 at 2500.
> Pete
> _______________________________________________
> LRO mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

--__--__--

Message: 5
From: "Samuel Chapin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:17:03 -0800
Subject: [lro] re ashcroft and stock engines
Reply-To: [email-masked]

This has been very helpful. For the time being it seems that the stock
gearing is going to be the least cruel to the beast as long as I am not in
much of a hurry, which should be a piece of cake as the other car is a 1960
Mercedes 190d. The poser is that the LR is currently fitted with a 220D
Mercedes engine.... which I think would be very close to the same #'s for
the stock LR diesel... which, while not taxing the other components, will be
as unhurried as the petrol 2.25, and probably a bit more relaxed (slow) than
even the 190d. In any case it should be less frightening than a Citroen 2CV
on a the freeway.
S. Chapin
109 LR SW
Santa Cruz, Ca.

--__--__--

Message: 6
Subject: Re: [lro] ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 01 11:07:18 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>Oops, I think two differnt emails got crossed here.
>I meant I was using a 6.2 diesel....but not a ashcroft t-case.

Sorry I was looking at the subject header that says "ashcroft transfer" 
and just assumed we were on subject.

>I thinkI would rather go to a 35" tire and 3.54 axles.

If you are going to be doing serious off road work I would suggest moving 
the rear axle to the back 2 inches to centre the wheel in the wheel well 
and going with very narrow tyres.  I mention narrow because the tyre top 
goes inward during upward articulation and clearence between a 750X16 
tyre and the inside of the side bench is not all that great.  I polish 
that surface with 265/75/16 MTs and they are 32 inchers.  Some people I 
have seen running 35's off road have modified the side benches at the 
rear tyres for additional side clearence.

>But it can go to a higher rpm when needed.
>The Sm465 has a 6:1 first gear ratio.  With the axle and tire change my
>final 1 low will still be lower then the stock rover stuff with the 33"
>tires.

Don't count on first gear starts with that gearbox.  THere is a mighty 
big ratio step between first and second.  When you are running your 
numbers assume a 3 speed gearbox for street driving.

Sounds like an interesting rig you are building though.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

--__--__--

Message: 7
Subject: Re: [lro] re ashcroft and stock engines
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 01 11:17:01 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>The poser is that the LR is currently fitted with a 220D
>Mercedes engine. <<SNIP>>
>S. Chapin
>109 LR SW
>Santa Cruz, Ca.

Which begs the question which is faster on #17, your LR or the sand 
trucks?

TeriAnn
109 LR Dormobile
Aptos, Ca.

--__--__--

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:20:28 +0100
From: Adrian Redmond <[email-masked]>
Organization: Channel 6 Television Denmark
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [lro] 110 difflock and snow handling
Reply-To: [email-masked]

We for the first time since I bought the 100 CSW 3 years ago, a heavy
snowfall has coincided with me being home in Denmark and needing to
drive. We has about 6 inches in 4 hours today.

I've driven series III's in the snow for many years, but the Defender is
still new to me. I'd be nterested in hearing how/when other
coiler-drivers use their diff lock. (That reminds me that the diff lock
indicator lamp seems to be blown too!)

My impressions of the Defender in snow conditions marry with my general
iompression . a smoother ride, better pulling power, and better road
holding - UNTIL - then when it skids, it happens quickly - road holding
strikes me as being much more ON/OFF that the series, in which there is
a gradual "change of feel" about how the car handles. Do others have the
same impression?

Happy christmas and all that

Adrian Redmond

---------------------------------------------------
CHANNEL 6 TELEVISION DENMARK
Foerlevvej 6, Mesing, DK-8660  Skanderborg  Denmark
---------------------------------------------------
telephone (office)                  +45 86 57 22 66
telephone (home)                    +45 86 57 22 64
telefacsimile                       +45 86 57 24 46
mobile GSM                          +45 40 54 22 66
e-mail                       [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
Visit our homepages!                www.channel6.dk
---------------------------------------------------

--__--__--

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:28:05 +0100
From: Edit 2 <[email-masked]>
Organization: Channel 6 Television Denmark
To: Kevin and Crew <[email-masked]>, International Land Rover Owners
  List <[email-masked]>, UK Land Rover owners list
  <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Cricket simplified
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Following the talk of cricket in the past few days, I dug this
explanation out for the benefit of those who don't appreciate this
gentlemans game -

Cricket explained
-----------------

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. 

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he
comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. 

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's
been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. 

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. 

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out,
and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. 

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they
decide when the men who are in are out. 

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides
have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who
are not out, that is the end of the game!

As I said earlier, i have never understood why the continentals think
that Cricket is hard to understand!

:-)

Adrian Redmond

---------------------------------------------------
CHANNEL 6 TELEVISION DENMARK
Foerlevvej 6, Mesing, DK-8660  Skanderborg  Denmark
---------------------------------------------------
telephone (office)                  +45 86 57 22 66
telephone (home)                    +45 86 57 22 64
telefacsimile                       +45 86 57 24 46
mobile GSM                          +45 40 54 22 66
e-mail                       [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
Visit our homepages!                www.channel6.dk
---------------------------------------------------

--__--__--

Message: 10
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:53:45 -0500
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Diesel speed
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Adrian writes. - Incidentally, the easy way to set the limit on the pump
to achieve this rpm is to drive in 3rd gear on a flat road - when full
pedal gives 42 k.p.h. that's suposed to be 4250 rpm. That at least is the
trick as I was taught it.
 
Adrian you have your units mixed up. 42 KPH is only around 25 mph, which,
at around 10 mph per 1000 rev in third gear ( 6.50 x 16 tyres) is only
2500 rpm.  Now you know why your 110 is so slow!  I was taught 48 mph in
third.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

--__--__--

Message: 11
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:46:35 -0500
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] redline
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Adrian writes  I don't know about the petrol version, but something tells
me that 4250
RPM is the red line for the SIII 2.25l diesel.

You can't over rev a diesel (in normal circumstances) the governor in the
fuel pump is set to limit rpm at 4800.

   I am a little surprised at some of the myths surrounding engine revs
and speeds. So I'm on my soap box.
Let the data do the talking.
  LR's own published information list's  for 1968 models, (similar
figures for the 1966 model.)
2.25 petrol, 77 hp at 4250 rpm, diesel 67 hp at 4000 rpm.   (Max power is
not to be confused with maximum rpm.)
maximum speed, for both the regular and the 109 
2.25 petrol   65- 70 mph ( at 15 mph per 1000 revs for the swb, this
equates to 4300 to 4600 rpm, for  109 at 16.5 mph per 1000 rev's in top
gear- this equals 4000 rpm- larger tyres and more weigh) ) .
2.25 diesel, 60 - 65 mph which is 4000 to 4300 rpm in a swb and 3600 to
4000 rpm for a 109.
note max speed does not equal max. rpm in a standard LR

  High revs, by themselves do not kill an engine like a LR because of
it's poor overall design, other factors come into play, long before the
physical rev limit.
Just because an engine has never been run at over 4000 rpm does not mean
that it has been cared for.  Of equal importance is good lubrication,
good cooling, efficient use of the choke, not labouring the engine in too
high a gear etc. etc. 
  To do a journey of ten miles takes the same number of engine
revolutions at 60 mph as it does at 30 mph, the difference is the journey
is accomplished in half the time and more fuel can be used.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year, with a special thanks to Bill Caloccia for
maintaining the list through another year (when did the list start ?  I
know that it was pre 94).

OOPS, not PC   -  recognizing the International flavour of the list I
should say -  Happy Holidaays.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

--__--__--

Message: 12
From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] ashcroft tranfer
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:54:44 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> If you are going to be doing serious off road work I would suggest moving
> the rear axle to the back 2 inches to centre the wheel in the wheel well
> and going with very narrow tyres.  I mention narrow because the tyre top
> goes inward during upward articulation and clearence between a 750X16
> tyre and the inside of the side bench is not all that great.  I polish
> that surface with 265/75/16 MTs and they are 32 inchers.  Some people I
> have seen running 35's off road have modified the side benches at the
> rear tyres for additional side clearence.
>
Pete, I presume this will be a leaf sprung vehicle. I'm currently putting
coiler axles under my series IIA 109, keeping the leaf springs. Although I
chose to do a spring over at this time, it would be very easy to put these
axles in the stock location, and this coupled with a military spring
suspension or a parabolic system would give you the additional clearance to
run a larger tire. My tire of choice is a 35" diameter one, 12.5" wide, and
with a little fender trimming they would fit without too much fuss, SPOA or
SPUA.

The original plan was to go to a 3.54 gear in the diffs and 35" tires, but I
think eventually I'll keep the 4.7 and go with an ashcroft for the better
crawl ratio.

Going with the wider coiler axles means better turning radius, better
brakes, 3.54 diffs usually already installed and available 24 spline axles.

something to consider...

J-L

--__--__--

Message: 13
From: "Jim Laurel" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] 110 difflock and snow handling
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:14:40 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Adrian,
This isn't specifically related to your diff lock/snow question, but I
wanted to throw out another use for diff lock.  A friend of mine who leads
desert 4x4 trips in his 1974 Range Rover advises he uses the center diff
lock to more evenly distribute shock load to the drivetrain.  So, he's got
his engaged when powering along on relatively flat, but rough, tracks.

I'd be very interested in hearing what others on the list think of this
idea.

--Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Redmond" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 12:20 PM
Subject: [lro] 110 difflock and snow handling

> I've driven series III's in the snow for many years, but the Defender is
> still new to me. I'd be nterested in hearing how/when other
> coiler-drivers use their diff lock. (That reminds me that the diff lock
> indicator lamp seems to be blown too!)

--__--__--

Message: 14
From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] 110 difflock and snow handling
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:25:01 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> Adrian,
> This isn't specifically related to your diff lock/snow question, but I
> wanted to throw out another use for diff lock.  A friend of mine who leads
> desert 4x4 trips in his 1974 Range Rover advises he uses the center diff
> lock to more evenly distribute shock load to the drivetrain.  So, he's got
> his engaged when powering along on relatively flat, but rough, tracks.
>
> I'd be very interested in hearing what others on the list think of this
> idea.
>
Well, the idea in principle is good, but I would certainely lock it for
other reasons as well.

I would imagine that the stability of the vehicle would be better with the
center diff lock engaged, as all wheels are pulling. My 109 seems much more
stable and forgiving on-road in 4x4 than in RWD...

Just a thought...

> --Jim
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Adrian Redmond" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 12:20 PM
> Subject: [lro] 110 difflock and snow handling
>
>
> > I've driven series III's in the snow for many years, but the Defender is
> > still new to me. I'd be nterested in hearing how/when other
> > coiler-drivers use their diff lock. (That reminds me that the diff lock
> > indicator lamp seems to be blown too!)
> _______________________________________________
> LRO mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

--__--__--

Message: 15
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 07:43:44 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Organization: AfricanAdrenalin.com
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] redline
Reply-To: [email-masked]

William L Leacock wrote:
 
> OOPS, not PC   -  recognizing the International flavour of the list I
> should say -  Happy Holidaays.

Hmm, interesting point you make here, Bill. I think you'll find that the
rest of the world still calls the 'holidays' Christmas :-{>} It's the
guys on your side of the pond that get all tongue-tied and
oversensitive.

Have a great Christmas guys!

Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

--__--__--

Message: 16
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:01:33 -0800
Subject: [lro] Big tires on a little rover (was:ashcroft tranfer)
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> If you are going to be doing serious off road work I would suggest moving
> the rear axle to the back 2 inches to centre the wheel in the wheel well
> and going with very narrow tyres.  I mention narrow because the tyre top
> goes inward during upward articulation and clearence between a 750X16
> tyre and the inside of the side bench is not all that great.  I polish
> that surface with 265/75/16 MTs and they are 32 inchers.  Some people I
> have seen running 35's off road have modified the side benches at the
> rear tyres for additional side clearence.

I am running 33x12.5s on 10" wide rims currently.
When I built my frame I moved the spring mounts, so I am sitting 2" over
stock right now.
I copied the rear curvature of the rear fender lip to the front side of the
wheel well.  So My axle is centered in 'my' wheel wells hahaha.
I said 35' and I have room for them, but I think I am going to stick with
the 33's.  Only I may sawp to a 33x10 from the 33x12.  A 109 that I went
snow wheeling with has the new 33x10.5 BFG MT KMs and was able to get up
some hills that I couldn't.Will wait to see how he does in the mud, but he
competed in the PNWC and was very happy with the tires.

Just got home from a 12 hour road trip, but I am now the proud owner of a
3/4 ton GMC with a 6.2 yeah.  Actually not a bad looking truck either.
think I am going to stick an ole petrol v8 in it and keep her for a while.
Pete

--__--__--

Message: 17
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 07:51:30 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Organization: AfricanAdrenalin.com
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Cricket simplified
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Edit 2 wrote:

> As I said earlier, i have never understood why the continentals think
> that Cricket is hard to understand!

Excellent, Adrian. And now that we've established that cricket is just
about the best thing (ever), since Land-Rovers of course, might I wish
our Oztralian listers all the best for the Boxing Day Test* (<aside>
"Leave that sheep alone Bruce!") ;-{>}
 
Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

* The Boxing Day Test (a cricketing institution in the Southern
Hemisphere) starts on the 26th of December, but plays out over 5 full
days... ahhh! Test cricket, it just doesn't get much better :-{)}

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest