Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #178 - 4 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 03:06:37 -0500 (EST)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW (TeriAnn Wakeman)
   2. Re: fluids (Paul Quin)
   3. Re: ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW (TeriAnn Wakeman)
   4. Re: ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW (TeriAnn Wakeman)

--__--__--

Message: 1
Subject: Re: [lro] ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 01 19:37:42 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>and I write: So how come the Cortina owners club in the UK is approaching
>the size of the poopulation of a small country? And the Ford Capri Club, and
>Ford Granada Club(s)?
>And don't we see the odd Model T around now and again?

I did not say anything about aftermarket or OEM sources going away.  Only 
things in boxes that say Genuine Land Rover Parts.

This should be a boon to aftermarket manufacturers.  But on the other 
hand there will probably be a few parts that will become NLA becase of 
tooling costs vs the part seldom breaks.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:38:40 -0800
From: Paul Quin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] fluids
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I'm in Victoria, BC  which is quite close climate wise to Portland.

Like you, I run 20W50 most of the year, but if it gets much below freezing
this stuff turns to molasses.  I made the mistake of taking the truck up to
a local ski resort where the temps got down to -16C overnight.  Starting up
the next morning there was NO oil pressure at all.  I left it idling for ten
minutes.  Still with no pressure.  =8-0

There are places in Canada where 5W30 or even 0W30 is the norm for winter
driving.

BUT the higher the spread between the numbers, the more polymer thickeners
are in the oil and polymers are what tend to build up inside the engine as
that brown waxy film you see everywhere.   10W40 has more polymer thickeners
than 10W30.

Old high performance guru's will swear by single grade (20W 30W etc.) as
they don't contain any polymers, just good old dinosaur guts.

30W was the only oil that my brother would let anywhere near his old 1970
LT1 350.

Paul in Victoria.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon J. Harding" <[email-masked]>

>
> Hello.  I'm in Portland Oregon, basically sea level.  Our temps right now
> are at 35-45 range here.  I have a well broken in 2.25 engine.  I noticed
> that when I bought the rig when I ran 20-50 in it in cool weather, the oil
> light tended to stay on longish at start up.  In summer, its fine.  In
> winter I run 10-30.  I would avoid straight 30 wt.

--__--__--

Message: 3
Subject: Re: [lro] ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 01 19:58:33 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>And body parts - still in abundance over here.

No problemo. Frames, fuel tanks, seats & body panels are being built in 
the aftermarket channel.  Shocks, springs, prop shafts, most all 
electrical parts, hydraulic systems are all supplied in both the OEM and 
aftermarket channels.

The OEM and Aftermarket channels along with dismanters will keep series 
rigs going for a long long time.

I'm not trying to scream Wolf.  I'm just mentioning that in the next year 
or so series specific parts will no longer be available in boxes that say 
genuine Land rover parts and that some stuff that the aftermarket does 
not feel is profitable will be available used only.

Parts that are only made in infrequent batches are the ones most likely 
to dry up first when inventory is gone and the decision is made not to 
make another production run.  If the aftermarket thinks there will be a 
profit to be made, they will build some.  If not there is always breaking 
yards for used ones.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

--__--__--

Message: 4
Subject: Re: [lro] ALERT - STOCKPILE PARTS NOW
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 01 20:16:15 -0800
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>I may be a fool, but with all of the Land Rovers on the road, I think parts
>will be available for a long time. LR themselves brag about how "80% of all
>Land Rovers ever built are still on the road".
>That means that someone somewhere is going to make parts, and our parts
>houses will keep bringing them in.

I agree with you completely!  The aftermarket supply will grow.  The OEM 
supply will grow.

White boxes with green oval labels will disappear along with some obscure 
parts, very expensive to tool parts and very seldom replaced parts.  
Other than that things should stay pretty much the same.

I brought the subject up because some people place great stock in parts 
being in packages labeled Genuine Land Rover Part.  They might want to 
stock up.  

And because some low volume parts such as the positive earth 
ignition/lighting switch will probably disappear.  I would not be 
surprised to see gearbox, transfer case and engine parts such as new 
heads and cranks disappear.

Try and rebuild a type A gearbox and transfer case these days.  Parts can 
be real hard to find.  

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest