Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #170 - 10 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:03:03 -0500 (EST)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Fauna fenders (Scott Wickham)
   2. Series power steering? (Edit 2)
   3. Re: Fauna fenders (Scott Wickham)
   4. Re: Series power steering? (Hope Peter)
   5. Re: no LR content, but looking for a quote (Scott Wickham)
   6. Re: British Tools (Ben Pooley)
   7. Re: no LR content, but looking for a quote (Par Leijonhufvud)
   8. Re: Fauna fenders (Par Leijonhufvud)
   9. Ad for 88 Series IIa ([email-masked])
  10. Re: Fauna fenders (Hope Peter)

--__--__--

Message: 1
From: "Scott Wickham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Fauna fenders
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:24:06 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

However the second one -- at a commensurately higher price of $419 --
was definitely a serious option.  Bolted to the frame, much thicker

  RAM products aren't so hot.  We sold them at Eastern Off-Road.
Smittybuilt always looked more H/D.  I'd get something that will take a
winch, much better usually.  And for $420 I'd look into getting something
made locally where you can say exactly what you want.  Paint it yourself.

Scooter

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 02:40:33 +0100
From: Edit 2 <[email-masked]>
Organization: Channel 6 Television Denmark
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [lro] Series power steering?
Reply-To: [email-masked]

What is this Scout thingy which everyone seems to be talking about -
anyone have pics of this installation on the web anywhere. I'd like to
hear/read/see more...

m.v.h.

Adrian Redmond

---------------------------------------------------
CHANNEL 6 TELEVISION DENMARK
Foerlevvej 6, Mesing, DK-8660  Skanderborg  Denmark
---------------------------------------------------
telephone (office)                  +45 86 57 22 66
telephone (home)                    +45 86 57 22 64
telefacsimile                       +45 86 57 24 46
mobile GSM                          +45 40 54 22 66
e-mail                       [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
Visit our homepages!                www.channel6.dk
---------------------------------------------------

--__--__--

Message: 3
From: "Scott Wickham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Fauna fenders
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:39:33 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Oh, way too fun.

'scuse me, I have to go out to the supermarket

  ;)  Me and a friend were in an empty supermarket lot late one night.  No
one put any of the carts back for the night so we came up with 'Shopping
Cart Rodeo'.  He'd pull up along side a lonesome cart and I'd grab the front
of it.  We'd get some speed up and I'd aim the cart for big steel 'corral'
at the end of the lot.  Smash!  Got one in!  This was too much fun, until
the cops showed up.  It was a local cop who said the Supermarket was
Pittsburgh City Police territory so we had to wait there for a city cop to
come out.  That was the longest 20 minutes.  The city cop gets there and
just reads us the riot act for making him come alllllll the way out from
town to give us idiots a ticket.  I mean my buddy Jeff, he got the ticket.
I was just trying not to laugh too much.  The funniest part was when he
asked Jeff how old he was to be doing such a juvenile stunt.  I'm 34 Sir,
was the reply.  I about pissed myself.  I'll never forget that night,
shopping cart rodeo, yeehawwwww!

Scooter

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Series power steering?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:40:31 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

TA's conversion
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/LR/PowerSteering.htm
Jim Weed's Scout Pages
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/
Pete
> What is this Scout thingy which everyone seems to be talking about -
> anyone have pics of this installation on the web anywhere. I'd like to
> hear/read/see more...

--__--__--

Message: 5
From: "Scott Wickham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] no LR content, but looking for a quote
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:49:10 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Now I just use it as a mantra...

  Maybe if I put this on my tailgate there will be less tailgateing by angry
sounding Hondas.  They'll think I'm a little nuts.  I'm starting to think
people tailgate me 'cause they don't know what I'm driving and just want a
look.  Who knows.

Scooter

--__--__--

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:24:03 -0400
To: [email-masked]
From: Ben Pooley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] British Tools
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 01:55 PM 11/28/01 -0800, Brian Horner wrote:

>Does anyone have any good websites or places to purchase British Standard
>hand tools?

Try
www.britcycle.com/Products/whitworth.htm

Ben Pooley
Lockeport,  Nova Scotia

--__--__--

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:45:25 +0100
From: Par Leijonhufvud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] no LR content, but looking for a quote
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Scott Wickham <[email-masked]> [2001.11.29] wrote:
>   Maybe if I put this on my tailgate there will be less tailgateing by angry
> sounding Hondas.  They'll think I'm a little nuts.  I'm starting to think
> people tailgate me 'cause they don't know what I'm driving and just want a
> look.  Who knows.

Nahh, they'll tailgate anyway. The reason, as far as I can understand
the "reasoning" behind it, is that firstly you are not driving like you
were second in the final lap on Le Mans (and is thus obstructing their
basic human right to drive at 30% above the speed limit), and secondly
the fact that, as a friend once put it "you gain one point for every
vehicle you overtake, but loose five every time you are overtaken". 

Best bumpersticker seen on the topic "If you are going to come any close
you'll need to wear a condom".

/Par

-- 
Par Leijonhufvud                                      [email-masked]
Imagine how much money could be saved by putting Furbies on 
front-line helpdesk. -- Michael Brown in asr

--__--__--

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:03:11 +0100
From: Par Leijonhufvud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Fauna fenders
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hope Peter <[email-masked]> [2001.11.28] wrote:
> http://www.aloharovers.com/brush_bar.htm

Hmm, that one had a feature it would like; a screen to protect the
radiator. I've envisioned a semi-fine, sturdy, metal mesh that sits in
line with the front fenders on a series. Perhaps one could make the
whole thing more or less integral with lamp guards of some sort? Not
designed to take huge impacts, but to stop random brush from spearing
your radiator (or smashing your headlamps). It should be possible to
keep the weight reasonable, I'd think.

ASCII art:

================================================    <- steel bars
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx     <- metal mesh
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxx
================================================

The best material for the bars would most likely be somthing like 1" D
or rectangular cross section, with the mesh welded on, except for the
headlamp ones which should be removable -- they are illegal on roads in
some jurisdictions -- or at least hinged for easy cleaning/bulb
changing.

/Par

-- 
Par Leijonhufvud                                      [email-masked]
[on the Tatooinian merchant in Star Wars Episode 1] 
No, he was *clearly* a Jew.  The blue skin and the wings give it away.
		-- Adam J. Thornton, in the Scary Devil Monastery

--__--__--

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:18:43 -0600 (CST)
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Ad for 88 Series IIa
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I found this while surfing.

http://www.upcars.com/private/589254c.html

				warren

--__--__--

Message: 10
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Fauna fenders
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:21:29 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> > http://www.aloharovers.com/brush_bar.htm
>
> Hmm, that one had a feature it would like; a screen to protect the
> radiator. I've envisioned a semi-fine, sturdy, metal mesh that sits in
> line with the front fenders on a series.

I almost did that, and may still.  The frame for the screen that is there is
1/4 round bar.  The screen is pretty heavy duty, it protects tha rad and the
off road lights

If I did it again I would use a 3/4 square tube.  build  a frame like  a
picture frame.  On the inner edge of the frame, cut a slit with a wiz wheel
or dremel.  The screen would fit in the slot.

  | <-screen
_|  _
|      |
|___|  <-tube  viewed from the end of the tube.

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest