Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #166 - 16 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 03:02:10 -0500 (EST)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Free wheel! (Keith Tanner)
   2. Re: Free wheel! ([email-masked])
   3. Acquiring the Green Bibles (jimncheryl)
   4. Re: Acquiring the Green Bibles ([email-masked])
   5. Re: Acquiring the Green Bibles (Hope Peter)
   6. Re: Acquiring the Green Bibles (Richard Joltes)
   7. Re: Acquiring the Green Bibles (Lori Sickley)
   8. Junkyard meag-wars (A. P. "Sandy" Grice)
   9. Re: Acquiring the Green Bibles ([email-masked])
  10. Re: Junkyard meag-wars ([email-masked])
  11. Hi again (Edit 2)
  12. Re: Hi again (Jean-Leon Morin)
  13. Fluids??? (Edit 2)
  14. Re: Hi again (Alan J. Richer)
  15. Interstate Motor Speedway  Update (Steven Moore)
  16. Re: Hi again (Paul Oxley)

--__--__--

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:30:34 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Cc: "lro-koan.team.net" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Free wheel!
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At On The Road last month, I won a gift certificate for "buy four, get one 
free" American Racing wheels from Gulf Coast Rovers (worth up to $61). It 
expires on 1/31/02. I've got no plans to buy any wheels in that time, so 
I'd like to pass it along to someone more deserving. I'll trade it for 
something cool (doesn't have to be valuable, just cool) or a joke funny 
enough to make me fall out of my chair.

Keith

------------
Keith's page de home:
    http://keith.miata.net
------------

--__--__--

Message: 2
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:53:04 EST
Subject: Re: [lro] Free wheel!
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In a message dated 11/25/01 1:36:50 PM, [email-masked] writes:

>make me fall out of my chair.
>

does just pulling it out from under you count?

adam : )

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:32:20 -0500
From: jimncheryl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Greetings to the list,

Where does one find the best prices on purchase of the green bibles, new or
used, for the Series II/IIa?

Cheers,

Jim Cirbus
'94 D-90
'90 RR County (wife's)
'63 Dorawagon
'61 88
'66 88 (donor car)
'71 88 (nuthin but a frame and axles left)

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:06:57 EST
Subject: Re: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

speaking of this, i was just wondering yesterday 9while flipping through my 
GB) that someone should make them available in PDF format, downloadable.  i 
would, but the pages in mine are pretty greasy and it would take me about a 
year and a half of scanning pages : )

adam

--__--__--

Message: 5
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:13:54 -0800
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> speaking of this, i was just wondering yesterday 9while flipping through
my
> GB) that someone should make them available in PDF format, downloadable.
i
> would, but the pages in mine are pretty greasy and it would take me about
a
> year and a half of scanning pages : )
>
> adam
hmm, very interesting.  Wonder what copy right effect would be.
I have a bunch of pdf parts diagrams, installation instructions for things,
but never considered an actual over the counter book.

Pete

--__--__--

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:30:10 -0500
From: Richard Joltes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
Reply-To: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:

>speaking of this, i was just wondering yesterday while flipping through my 
>GB) that someone should make them available in PDF format, downloadable.  i 
>would, but the pages in mine are pretty greasy and it would take me about a 
>year and a half of scanning pages : )
>

Scanning them would be easy, but since they're still being sold by 
various parties it'd
certainly be illegal (copyright violation) to do so and then put them 
onto a public site.

I just came into possession of a set of SIII microfiche and am looking 
into whether it'd
be possible to digitise and post these.  AFAIK the 'fiche are no longer 
available, so it
might be legal to post them publicly.  Same with my set of Mark IV 
Spitfire 'fiche.

dj
1974 SIII Airportable, "Smudger"

--__--__--

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:00:06 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Lori Sickley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 03:13 PM 11/25/01, Pete wrote:

>hmm, very interesting.  Wonder what copy right effect would be.
>I have a bunch of pdf parts diagrams, installation instructions for things,
>but never considered an actual over the counter book.
>
>Pete

Make them available by secret pass code : )

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/
US Copyright Office

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html#q60
59. How do I get permission to use somebody else's work?

You can ask for it. If you know who the copyright owner is, you may contact 
the owner directly. If you are not certain about the ownership or have 
other related questions, you may wish to request that the Copyright Office 
conduct a search of its records for a fee of $65 per hour. Additional 
information can be found in Circular 22.

60. Could I be sued for using somebody else's work? How about quotes or 
samples?

If you use a copyrighted work without authorization, the owner may be 
entitled to bring an infringement action against you. There are 
circumstances under the fair use doctrine where a quote or a sample may be 
used without permission. However, in cases of doubt, the Copyright Office 
recommends that permission be obtained.

Lori in NE PA

--__--__--

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:54:25 -0600
To: [email-masked]
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Junkyard meag-wars
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Ike Goss <[email-masked]> wrote"

>The Rover on Junkyard mega wars is a red late SIIA 88 NAS spec.  I saw the 
>truck while I was in LA.  It was parked out front of Peter's Marina Motors.  
>Junkyard Wars bought the vehicle for the show.  Peter striped out many good 
>parts before they hauled it away.  Too bad that the decent bodywork had to 
>get trashed though....

Saw a 'teaser' for the show yeaterday.  In the briefest of clips, I saw
some team member removing one of the doors with a sledgehammer....

Not sure I can watch such sacriledge....

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary-----*
  |                                                    |
  |              A. P. "Sandy" Grice                   |
  |     Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730    |
  |  (757)423-4898  (757)622-7054  FAX (757)622-7056   |
  |                                                    |
  *----1972 Series III 88"----1996 Discovery SE-7(m)---*

--__--__--

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:06:19 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Acquiring the Green Bibles
To: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

but could you legally scan them, and charge people say $10 to download it?

adam

--__--__--

Message: 10
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:09:08 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Junkyard meag-wars
To: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

hey Sandy, i dont think you want to come to my garage then.  theres sacrilege all over the place.  doors being removed with sledges would be the least of your worries... : )

adam

--__--__--

Message: 11
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 00:19:07 +0100
From: Edit 2 <[email-masked]>
Organization: Channel 6 Television Denmark
To: UK Land Rover owners list <[email-masked]>,
  International Land Rover Owners List <[email-masked]>, Danish
  Land Rover Owners list <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Hi again
Reply-To: [email-masked]

After a long pause due to pressure of work, I have finally resubscribed
to the lists! It must be two years!

Not that pressure of work has lightened, but after two years of not
tweaking or meddlin with my rovers (during which time they have
performed to perfection - I'd really recommend this method of never
fiddlin' with these beasts..) the 109 finally needed some TLC.

Last weekt he steering went pear-shaped - I guessed - rightly so - that
the ball bearings in the stearing box had come out and the whole
shambles was eating left over ball bearings. I have never tried to split
a steering box without doingt a complete rebuild at the same time, so
this was an "interesting" experiment - even more so as I had no
assistant to hold the other end of the numerous bolts whilst taking the
beast off and replacing it. What a cow? (Is "Cow" still politically
correct on this list?)

The wormgear on the steering shaft was heavily pitted. The oil drained
out contained no less than 5 half bearing balls (yes five - don't ask me
where the sixth was!) so I went to my mechanic and collected a donor
unit which proved to be in OK condition - protected as it was by thirty
years crud.

So this was my welcome back to the oily knuckles club - an entire
weekend fighting the beast with contortions of whitworth proportions.
I'm aching all over - after two years sitting in an edit suite a weeked
in the workshop leaves me feeling as if I have run a marathon with a 76
lb backpack.

Tomorrow I must bleed the clutch - that requires recruiting help from
SWMBO (is SWMBO still pC on this list?)

I guess that there are lots of new lro's joined the lists in my absence,
and I hope that the old faithfulls are still there and going strong -
I've heard from a few of you off-list in the past couple of years -
thanks for the words of encouragement now and again!

I am seriously into this idea of seriously-reduced-fixing-of-rovers -
just repairing what goes wrong and leaving the rest well alone. I have
run this programme for over two years with considerable success -
compared with the period before, during which I was tweaking, oiling and
fiddlin all the time, and experiencing so many nigelisms (do we still
talk of nigelisms on this list?). No - the low maintenance plan actually
shows just how hardy these beasts are - given the starting point of a
fully refurbished truck and all holes filled up.

So fill me in guys - where's the watering hole these days? Whose round
is it? (mine I guess) Whats been going on? Had the FWH issue ever been
resolved in unity? I see we have a new mailserver - what happened? I
guess the world has moved on...

Hope to hear from you all soon! Now where diud I put that 7/16"
spanner....

:-)
 
Adrian Redmond

---------------------------------------------------
CHANNEL 6 TELEVISION DENMARK
Foerlevvej 6, Mesing, DK-8660  Skanderborg  Denmark
---------------------------------------------------
telephone (office)                  +45 86 57 22 66
telephone (home)                    +45 86 57 22 64
telefacsimile                       +45 86 57 24 46
mobile GSM                          +45 40 54 22 66
e-mail                       [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
Visit our homepages!                www.channel6.dk
---------------------------------------------------

--__--__--

Message: 12
From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Hi again
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:45:10 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Adrian!

Welcome, glad to see you back!

Please don't speak to Dixon Kenner about your "no maintenance" maintenance
regimen. He's been doing this for years, while some of use still refuse to
admit that it seems to be working...

J-L

--__--__--

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:54:16 +0100
From: Edit 2 <[email-masked]>
Organization: Channel 6 Television Denmark
To: [email-masked], International Land Rover Owners List
  <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] Fluids???
Reply-To: [email-masked]

What's this I hear about the arrival of the fluid brigade? Polish?
T-cut?
Hmmmm....

I have always subscribed to polishing the series III - underneath - NOT
above the waterline - bit otherwise, WD40 - splash it on all over -
gives a shiny underside and engine, makes dismantling - even after
months of neglect - easy, and keeps the rust down.

T-Cut - too bloody expensive - what's wrong with brake fluid?

A couple of years ago, when I rebuilt my 109, we had a lot of
discussions about the value of galvanised chassis' and metalising the
steel parts. I had to uncover quite a lot of the underside this weekend,
and after a bit of a wash with the h.p. jet, I am pleased to say that
the galv shassis -f which hasn't been polished with anything except
Danish mud for 2 years, is pristine. The steel bits - firewall, firewall
supports etc. which were metalised before painting, are still as bright
as new - there's not a spot of rust on this puppy. I must say it was
really worth the effort, and I will never try to reclaim a black painted
rusty frame again - the galv. jobbie is simply the way to go for years
of unmaintained freedom from rust.

I just regret that when I bought the Defender CSW two years ago, that
one of the options was NOT a galvanised chassis - I would have plumped
for that long before the sun roof and the radio.

I did notice that my 109 springs seem to have settled. Laying on the
workshop cart, I can't quite get under the frame to bleed the clutch, so
I had to jack the front up. No I haven't put on weight during my trips
to the US (not for want of trying) the springs really seem to have
settled. Maybe the air in the tyres is low?

Happy rovering,

Polish?

:-)

Adrian Redmond

---------------------------------------------------
CHANNEL 6 TELEVISION DENMARK
Foerlevvej 6, Mesing, DK-8660  Skanderborg  Denmark
---------------------------------------------------
telephone (office)                  +45 86 57 22 66
telephone (home)                    +45 86 57 22 64
telefacsimile                       +45 86 57 24 46
mobile GSM                          +45 40 54 22 66
e-mail                       [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------
Visit our homepages!                www.channel6.dk
---------------------------------------------------

--__--__--

Message: 14
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:54:05 -0800 (PST)
From: "Alan J. Richer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Hi again
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--- Edit 2 <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> After a long pause due to pressure of work, I have
> finally resubscribed
> to the lists! It must be two years!

Adrian! Good to see you back, mate!

Good to see you. We've got some new faces, some old
faces still here, some gone, but your barstool is
still here and if I can get the damn barmaid's
attention your first pint is on me.

I'm in the process of trying to put together a truck
to adhere to your non-tinkering methodology. Mr
Churchill (my long-suffering 109) is getting a new
chassis - and in the process getting its bulkhead
rebuilt, new wiring harness and a thorough
refurbishment of all the bits tha need it (damn few,
actually).

Then I intend to restrict myself to tinkering with my
58 Series II after this....

                  Alan R.

=====
Please ignore the following advertising.....
Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month.
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

--__--__--

Message: 15
From: "Steven Moore" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:35:59 
Subject: [lro] Interstate Motor Speedway  Update
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Interstate Motor Speedway  Update

Well, the adventure continues. 2800 miles in 6 driving days in a series,
presently staying in Colorado Springs. Still have most of my hearing and
have enjoyed some beautiful scenery. Thankfully the weather has held,
only saw rain one day. Brisk temperatures at night made for some chilly
camping, and makes you appreciate a warm bed!

    The adventure started several days before I actually left New York
State when I discovered some anti freeze weeping from the old series
radiator. A quick shot of powdered stop leak brought temporary relief,
but a call to Thatched Roof Garage in Tennessee made sure a rad was
waiting for me when I got there a few days later. Meanwhile, fingers
crossed.

  Day 1:  Left on Wednesday AM on the 14th. Interstate 81 was predictable
thru Pa, this part of the journey was intended to get as far as possible
the first day. Spent the evening in a small campground in Virginia near
Front Royal. Due the high fire risk, no camp or cooking fires were
allowed. 20 degree temps were not appreciated THAT night. In the morning
the proprietor served a great country ham and egg breakfast for $2.50,
and on the road again. First day  - 479 miles.

   Day 2: Arrived at the entrance to Skyline Drive in Virginia at 8:30
AM, CLOSED! Not open til 9:00. Bypassed the first half of the Drive,
picked it up near Luray Caverns. Entry fee $10.00, this allows access for
seven days. As I was just passing thru, I had to get my moneys worth in
a couple of hours. What a great piece of road. Deer everywhere, beautiful
overlooks, top speed driving 35 mph, who would want to go any faster? As
the Drive ends, the Blue Ridge Parkway begins. At first its a
disappointment, compared to the Skyline its just a winding country road.
But, as altitude increases, it compares favorably. Plenty of winding
road, altitude changes ( I saw over 6000 feet), and scenic vistas every
half mile. As its about 400 miles long, you need to bring plenty of
provisions if you intend to travel its entire length. I only drove about
80 miles or so, exiting near Roanoke. The next couple of hundred miles to
Kingsport, Tennessee seemed to take forever. Held the Rover at about 55
mph where it seemed to be happiest, it never missed a beat. Arrived at
Thatched Roof Garage before nightfall, spent an enjoyable 3 or so hours
visiting with David Gage, swapping notes. (His notebook is fuller than
mine.) Came to a very agreeable price on a series III radiator, managed
to squeeze an exhaust manifold and header pipe into the truck as well.
Thanks to David for the AAA price discount. A stop there is highly
recommended. Left about 7:30 pm and drove to my brothers house in
Hendersonville, NC, another 2.5 hours! Arrived around 10 pm to a steak
dinner and a warm bed. Isnt life grand? Second day  about 560 miles, I
never noted my odometer mileage.

   Days 3 and 4 were spent relaxing, topping off fluids, and changing the
radiator out. Also picked up a flat tire in Hendersonville (the Road
Hazard Capitol of the World). A quick stop to buy a tire plug kit (that I
needed anyway), swap on the new spare and back on the road. I needed to
rotate my tires, now one is done. Sampled a little too much of brothers
homemade wine, so getting up at 4:30 am to watch the Leonid meteor shower
meant a groggy day Sunday, my first day back on the road. Knowing I had a
stock of leftover Early Thanksgiving provisions helped a little.  About
50 miles covered in 2 days.

   Day 5  Left Hendersonville early, completed the southern part of the
Blue Ridge Parkway and The Smoky Mountain National Park. Both are highly
recommended. Took a small detour to Maggie Valley for fuel, very
touristy. On the way to Knoxville, passed thru Pigeon Forge, dont take
this route unless you like country music a LOT and have a couple of hours
to kill. Im sure there is a bypass, but before I realized it I was stuck
in gridlock. Sunday afternoon was probably one of the worst times to be
there as everyone was leaving town in the same direction I was going in.
Eventually joined the interstate near Knoxville and the trip was
uneventful thru Nashville up to Clarksville. The plan was to stay at a
public campground at Bumpus Mills, near Land of the Lakes in Kentucky. I
had placed a call to BM and was assured that they were open, however when
I arrived at 10 pm, they were CLOSED with no sign of life. A 30 mile
detour at around 10 pm really brought a smile to my face. Got to sleep in
the Rover in Dover (a catchy tune Ive been humming ever since). The
platform I built came in handy, as I could stretch out and freeze in
relative comfort. The early morning rain didnt help the situation, and I
have had recurring nightmares of being buried in a leaky aluminum coffin.
My Dutch military surplus sleeping bag isnt all that warm either.
Morning brought relief and slight drizzle. 5th day  about 516  miles.

   Day 6  Left Dover and drove thru Land of the Lakes Kentucky. Not much
to recommend, this route is not very scenic, just a slightly windy road
with the occasional bison herd. The lakes are always well off to the east
and west, and IMHO, unless you are boating or picnic-ing,or like old
cemeteries, there is not much to see or do. The drive to Paducah, Fort
Scott, and Springfield, Mo. was nice on route 60 and highly recommended.
Driving was pleasant, and traffic not in a rush, though I took pains to
not hold up traffic much. It did make me smile when I had no choice but
to hold up a large motorhome for a couple of miles, though. (Vengeance is
mine!) Spent that evening in a private campground near Collins, Mo, off
route 54.  Campfire and campcooking at last! The proprietors are very
nice and I will go back there if I ever Rover thru again. Hot shower,
too. $6.00 fee.  6th day  495 miles.

   Day 7   The drive on 54 was also pleasant and I made good time,
traffic was not too bad. My decision the stay off interstates was a good
one. Had a nice stop in friendly Iola, Kansas, and spent about an hour
there. Not particularly full of interesting tourist sights, but a very
nice town. I will stop there again also. Back on the road, averaging a
Rover-happy 55 mph. Stopped in Wichita for a Barnes & Noble fix  coffee
and Rover magazines. They stock LROI, LRW and LR Enthusiast. I bought
LRW. Parked next to a Disco, but no sign of the driver.  Left for
Kingman, Ks and arrived there about 8:30 pm. It is a small public
campground on Kingman Lake, very nice and very empty. Camped next to the
only other occupants, a father/son from Arkansas who were hunting.
Another campfire and more campcooking, what a country. Nighttime temp
around freezing but still bearable sleeping weather. I will be donating
my Dutch surplus sleeping bag to someone I dont like very much. 7th day
 256 miles.

  Day 8  Having picked up route 50 in Wichita, I continued thru to Dodge
City (very touristy) and on to La Junta, Co. where I did a doubletake and
turn-aroud to see the Unimogs at a surplus and metal salvage center.
About 45 minutes spent with the owner looking at all types of Mogs, from
a 52 model 2010 (68wheelbase, 51 track, top speed 35 mph) to an all
out rockcrawling 404 (?). What a treat. Continued on to my destination in
Colorado Springs. This is where the Interstate Motor Speedway comes back
with a vengeance. Boy do they haul on Interstate 25! I was lucky enough
not to have become a statistic, and arrived mid evening. 8th day  - 445
miles. Whew!

   Just in time for Thanksgiving dinner the following day. And a warm
bed. And a hot shower. Ah, the little things. Thanks to Steve Moore and
his wife Dana for their hospitality and my first ride/drive in a 101FC.

  Total trip miles so far  2807.  The remainder of my adventure to
Cheyenne, Wyoming and back to Colorado Springs should be a piece of cake.
I guess this shows that a reasonably well sorted Series vehicle driven at
reasonable speeds for unreasonable periods of time is very capable of
making a crosscountry trip. Preparation is key. Since it is a proven fact
that the parts that break are never the ones you have on hand, it is fair
to rationalize that if you bring enough spares, you will not break down.
This is the secret to my success, I had a ton of spares. Many thanks to
the folks who offered their couch, spare parts and moral support.

    The adventure continues..

 Hank Rutherford

'63 SerIIa SWB "Gromit"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--__--__--

Message: 16
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:52:03 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Organization: AfricanAdrenalin.com
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Hi again
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Edit 2 wrote:
 
> After a long pause due to pressure of work, I have finally resubscribed
> to the lists! It must be two years!

Oh! Sorry, didn't notice that you'd stepped outside for a breath of
fresh air ;-{>} 

Welcome back on board.

Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest