Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #91 - 3 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:03:37 -0400 (EDT)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: I'm semi-fameous (Jim Hall)
   2. Engine miss (was we stand united) (C. Marin Faure)
   3. Re: Brake bleeding a 67IIa (C. Marin Faure)

--__--__--

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:26:42 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] I'm semi-fameous
Reply-To: [email-masked]

There is a link, but they don't have that picture up. I did
scan it and will send it to you.

Rich & Lori Williams wrote:
> 
> Jim,
> 
> If there is a weblink to this with the RMN, please share it with us.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> >
> > I guess on the way to the British Conclave, someone took my picture
> > which then ended up in the Rocky Mountain News. I had the big flag on
> > of course. So if anyone wonders who the rover on page 19 belongs to,
> > it's me!!!
> > --
> > Jim Hall
> > 1966 88" Elephant Chaser
> > http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
> > "You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling
> > with Jim." Mitch Stockdale
> > _______________________________________________
> > LRO mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
> _______________________________________________
> LRO mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

-- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:14:41 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: "C. Marin Faure" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [lro] Engine miss (was we stand united)
Reply-To: [email-masked]

From: Jim Hall [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 6:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] WE STAND UNITED

>I have been having a miss lately. It can be heard at
idle, but is only felt at full throttle at high rpm's. I am thinking
the most likely suspects are points or mis-adjusted valves. Any other
things that might cause it? I will start checking in a while.

I've found that a valve out of adjustment is definitely noticeable at idle
but not really at higher rpm.  If the points and valve clearances are okay,
you might want to run a compression check to make sure you don't have one
or more burned valves, which will also cause the symptoms you describe.

________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
   Seattle, WA

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:48:32 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: "C. Marin Faure" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [lro] Re: Brake bleeding a 67IIa
Reply-To: [email-masked]

From: Mark Pilkington <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lro] Brake bleeding a 67 IIa
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>Does anyone have a picture of the "ideal" brake shoe installation.  This
would help with what I am looking for as well as all the very helpful advice
all of you are giving me.

If you don't already have a copy of the factory service manual for the
Series IIa, I would strongly recommend you get one.  Land Rover service
manuals, including the ones as late as the 1991 Range Rover, are the best
shop manuals I've ever worked with.  The step-by-step instructions are
clear enough for a five year old to follow, and the isometric line drawings
of the parts and assemblies are superb.  Other than a partial engine
rebuild in the early 1980s and a transmission overhaul in the mid-1980s, I
have done all the work on my Series III by  myself since buying the vehicle
new in 1973.  There were no Land Rover mechanics, or even mechanics
familiar with Land Rovers in Honolulu at the time, so I was totally on my
own.  And although there are people in the Seattle area with Series Land
Rovers, and even a shop or two in the Puget Sound area that works on them,
I continue to maintain my SIII by myself.

The fact that my Land Rover is running today pretty much as it did the day
I took delivery in 1973 is not a testimony to my meager skills, but because
the factory service manual (which came with my new Land Rover) has made
every maintenance or replacement job incredibly easy for the last 28 years.
This includes jobs as simple as replacing window tracks to removing and
re-installing the engine block and head.

I have replaced brake shoes and cylinders over the years, and all I had to
go by was the factory service manual.  It's an extremely easy job if you
follow the instructions to the letter.  In fact, I cannot think of any
maintenance or replacement task on the Series that isn't incredibly easy,
although some of them can be a bit time consuming.  But it's a tinker-toy
vehicle as long as you've got that manual and the right tools.  Without
them, or with a vastly inferior manual like the one published by Haynes, I
can see where it could be tricky to figure out what's supposed to be done
in some cases.

So if you haven't got a genuine factory service manual, or one of the exact
reprints you can buy today, I would make obtaining one your first priority.
I have both the two-volume IIa manual and the larger, single-volume III
manual.  I bought the IIa set because they include very helpful
trouble-shooting charts at the end of each major section.  For some reason,
these trouble-shooting charts were omitted in the Series III manual,
perhaps to help them fit the thing into a single volume.  But the trouble
shooting charts in the IIa manual have come in very handy on occasion when
I've been trying to figure out a problem on my SIII.

Don't forget, Series Land Rovers were designed to be worked on by people
with basic tools and mechanical skills.  Part of the reason the concept
worked so well was the extreme simplicity of the vehicle itself, but the
other reason was the terrific service manual the Rover Company created.

________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
   Seattle, WA

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest