Subject: LRO digest, Vol 1 #48 - 2 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

Send LRO mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of LRO digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Early SII Drivetrain (Neil Brownlee)
   2. E-brake bashing (G. Mugele)

--__--__--

Message: 1
From: Neil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [lro] Early SII Drivetrain
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:04:29 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Um, I think you find that there are SOME 107" Diseasals.........at least I'm fairly certain there are.

Neil

_______________________________________________________________________
FSmail - Get your free web-based email from Freeserve: www.fsmail.net

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:01:27 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: "G. Mugele" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lro] E-brake bashing
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>Speak for yourself, my e-brake holds me on any incline. Just put a new
>seal in, clean the drum and shoes and adjust it and it works great In
>fact I can say that I've never had a better e-brake in any car.

Yeah.  I never had any problems with 'em.   I am surprised at all the 
bad-mouthing (keying?) the LR-transmission brake is getting here.  I 
have been consistently amazed at how well the thing holds, even with 
a coating of 90wt.

LONG Anecdote mode on:
When I was a clueless newbie LRO  (32 years ago) I was poking around 
all manner of local trails in the coast ranges of Northern Calif in 
my new Series IIa 88.  The places I was visiting rarely saw vehicular 
traffic and I was probably in many places I didn't belong.  Often I 
was surprising and scaring the heck out of individuals engaged in 
illicit agricultural enterprise and probably came close to getting 
shot more often than I realized.

Anyway on one trip on a road from Cazadero to nowhere I came to a 
fairly large creek crossing. There, I found two J**p guys swilling 
beers with their rigs pointed in the direction I had just come from. 
I stopped at the water's edge.  The water was running fast and about 
two feet deep at the deepest point on the far side.

On the opposite side was a very steep embankment of rock and clay and 
about 40 feet up.  I couldn't see the grade beyond that point and the 
redwood trees obscured the rest of the trail.

The J**Ps both appeared to be dry.  I asked the guys where the trail 
went and they gave some lame answer about it going miles and miles 
into the hills and then coming back around to the main road.  They 
were very vague about direction and distance.  Somewhat skeptical, I 
asked if they had come that way and was assured that they had. 
Seemed unlikely.  I asked if they were going to go back that way and 
if so how were they going to make it up the other side.  They said 
that they were going out to Cazadero but that I would have no problem 
with the embankment.

Well I was pretty young and not smart enough to recognize a set up 
when I walked into it.  I ventured slowly into the stream and found 
it a bit deeper than I expected; with very cold water rushing over my 
feet.  I got to the other side without killing the engine and rolled 
the front wheels up out of the water.  The slope looked a hell of a 
lot steeper from here.  I put it in 1st low-range and started up.  I 
got about 2/3s the way when all the wheels would do is spin.  I put 
in the clutch and pressed the brake pedal.  But AHA.... the brakes 
were all wet and I had no braking.  Next thing I knew, I was backing 
down very fast and out into the deepest part of the stream with a 
dramatic splash.

I looked back across to the J**ps and saw the guys having a great 
laugh.  Well I was not about to be humiliated like that so I took 
another run at it and this time made it about 3/4s the way up... but 
now I was ready and instead of using the service brake I yanked o the 
e-brake and stopped right where I was.  I got out, which was fairly 
difficult on that slope, and climbed that very slippery clay to check 
what was up at the top.  As I did I looked over at the guys.  They 
were standing there awestruck that I was able to park where I was.  I 
was obvious that they just couldn't believe it.

After I found a culvert blocking the trail above the slope I backed 
down and returned to the other side where my new "friends" 
interrogated me wanting to know how the heck I did that.  Since they 
were so helpful in encouraging me to take that run, I was congenial 
in feigning disgust that I'd had to stop there.  I said that I just 
drove and stopped... it was no big deal... was it?

Apparently they'd tried it but with much less success and had been 
sitting there quite some time waiting for the ignition to dry out.

Anecdote mode off.

The transmission brake is the best e-brake I've ever used.  For those 
with complaints about 'em: are you sure that your problems aren't due 
to lack of maintenance?

       _
     / o\_         Gerald Mugele
    /   )-- \       [email-masked]
   /    |            Glen Ellen, CA
*** "In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks 
you take."   ~ Adlai Stevenson 

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
* Team.Net hosted courtesy of Amaranth Networks, Inc. http://Amaranth.com/ *
* Powered by SUN(r). The network is the computer.(tm) *
LRO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://land-rover.team.net/mailman/listinfo/lro

End of LRO Digest