Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #443

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:40:19 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *  Friday, July 6 2001  Volume 01 : Number 443

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:16:52 -0500
From: "Carl Kinkade" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Rangie Fuel Milage (was:  1994 County SWB)

And imagine when your driving that box in the constant winds on the great
plains of Nebraska.  I think the wind never gets below 30 mph here, kidding
of course.  So maybe that is where I get the 14 mph, going with the wind.

Carl Kinkade, MCRP
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Kinkade GIS
Using GIS for Public Health and Community Analysis
Lincoln, NE 68502
work (402) 420-6882
fax (402) 420-6882
[email-masked]
- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Perrone Ford
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 10:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Rangie Fuel Milage (was: 1994 County SWB)

   Normal mileage is somewhere between 11-15 mpg depending on how "in-tune"
your motor is, and whether you are doing stop and go driving.  Since our
engines develop such little torque at take off, we are inclined to push
harder on the pedal, and that brings down economy.  The engine is
notoriously thirsty even though it gives such poor performance.

   This is one reason I advocate switching to the GM 350 engine should the
LR one go belly up instead of going to a 4.6  I bought mine with the
understanding that I would get 12 mpg, but I have done better than that on
most occasions.  The shape of the classic REALLY hurts it at speed.  It
provides almost a square profile to the wind which is the least aerodynamic
shape available.  Folks, lets not forget that we are talking about a vehicle
designed in the late 60s with an engine from the same period.  Most engines
then produced far less mileage than what we get.

- -Perrone

Hope Peter wrote:

I have a '95 RR LWB and love it, but be prepared to pay for fuel costs ifyou
drive it very much.  I average about 10 mpg.
Is this typical milage?  Have a friend with a 95 but never asked.Find it
hard to believe that it gets mileage so low.  Our full size GMC witha 5.0l
gets about 18 around the city and got 24mpg highway when we stilllived in a
place that you could drive for more then 10 miles on a highway atover
40mph.Pete

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:21:02 -0700
From: Mark Pilkington <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Rangie Fuel Milage (was:  1994 County SWB)

My 1990 RR did 10 MPG when I got it, But I had a custom bigger bore exhaust put
on and got it up to 18.  The exhaust was $400 to make and fit at Marco Muffler
in Sacramento. He did it while I waited, I needed it anyway because the cats' in
the old one were broken and rattling.  I now have 245/75 16s on it and that
might not have helped, but the ride is excellent and it looks right too. The
wheel fills the arch like the new ones do.  I think that the original exhaust is
small and restrictive.  The engine wants to breath more easily and the bigger
pipe does it.  It is not a loud obnoxious rasping exhaust either, I was offered
that, but opted for a good muffler and totally quiet system. It works well.  I
get roughly 285 miles per tank now.  I do not do too much freeway, and when I do
I am towing a 19 ft speedboat.
    Just a side note about an incident that occurred the other day. I sell
planes, and a customer was here to look at one, he was a bit brash and smoked.
As we walked to the Rangie, he commented rudely that they were the "biggest
piece of shit ever made" I bit my tounge and asked if he had ever owned one?
"no"  If he realised that it was Buick engine? "no" If he realised that they
were permenant 4WD? "no"  If he knew that they have an all aluminum body? "no"
If he realised that they had started the SUV craze of the last 40 years? "no"
And lastly that they were built from the late 60's to the mid 90's with the same
body because the design was so good and that Ford were so impressed with them
and the image they carry that they bought the whole compny etc etc. After 5
miniutes he shut up and did not offer any such opinions again.  Why are there
these preconceptions?  I capped it off later in the hanger when talking about
planes by referring to aircraft but saying that there are a lot of opinions out
there that are not based on fact or experience, but are offered freely. I am not
sure if he made the connection.  He did not buy a plane. He was actually going
to smoke in the Range Rover on the way back to the office as well.  I stopped
short of unlocking it until he had finished the ciggarette. Good riddance I say.

Kind regards,
Mark Pilkington
1990 Range Rover
Some Land Rovers

Hope Peter wrote:

> > I have a '95 RR LWB and love it, but be prepared to pay for fuel costs if
> > you drive it very much.  I average about 10 mpg.
> >
>
> Is this typical milage?  Have a friend with a 95 but never asked.
> Find it hard to believe that it gets milage so low.  Our full size GMC with
> a 5.0l gets about 18 around the city and got 24mpg highway when we still
> lived in a place that you could drive for more then 10 miles on a highway at
> over 40mph.
> Pete

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:23:50 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

<html><head></head><body>I just ordered a set from NAPA.&nbsp; They had the rears
in stock.&nbsp; Autozone don't carry anything and neither did Pep Boys.&nbsp; I don't
know what kind of BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a HELL of a lot more than
$20!!<br>
<br>
On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?<br>
<br>
- -Perrone<br>
<br>
Carl Kinkade wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]"><pre wrap="">I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.  As a matter of<br>fact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull the wheels<br>off and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do it.<br><br>Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR), I looked<br>in my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are outrageous.  I<br>replaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and they had<br>a lifetime warranty.<br><br>Carl Kinkade, MCRP</pre>
  </blockquote>
  <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:28:11 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

Re: Pads:

To be honest, last time I needed Range ROver pads I went to PartsAmerica
and got them there. No problem - had 'em for me in a day or so.

I was pleased - they weren't $20/set but were a squatload cheaper than
AB/RN/MOUSE.....

Funniest part was they were Australian-made aftermarket heavy-duty
pads....even better.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:33:25 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: The LRO/RRO test

<html><head></head><body>You know,<br>
<br>
 &nbsp;&nbsp; This is just damn silly.&nbsp; I am on the RRO list and there are any number
of competent folk on that list that do PLENTY of work on their rovers.&nbsp; While
you may find a higher percentage of folk on the LRO that do their own work,
MANY would be lost (without the shop manual) trying to figure out how to
diagnose ECU, fuel injection systems, emission control systems, ABS, etc.&nbsp;
These are VERY complicated systems and take time to learn.&nbsp; <br>
<br>
 &nbsp;&nbsp; I'm getting pretty tired of hearing how coiler people can only manage
to figure out how to work the CD player and such.&nbsp; Last June I started working
on my 91 RR.&nbsp; I have NEVER worked on ANY car in my life before that.&nbsp; I started
with an oil change, and then filters, and then a tune up, and then I did
the 72k service which has quite a few things on it.&nbsp; I have spent the last
year learning ALL the systems in my truck from the shop manual and other
coiler enthusiasts.&nbsp; So if I, a relative novice, can learn to service EVERY
major system in the truck in under a year, then the collective here could
do it in less than half the time.&nbsp; They are not magic.&nbsp; They work on simple
basic principles just like every other 4 stroke engine mated to a transmission
and mounted on a chassis.&nbsp; The details may be different, but not THAT different.&nbsp;
There is NOTHING electrical you can't run down with a good multi-meter.&nbsp;
And the rest is just wrenching and patience.<br>
<br>
 &nbsp;&nbsp; So PLEASE stop bashing coiler owners.&nbsp; We are not all ignorant prisses,
we DO care about ALL land rovers, and we just want to have a good time with
our beloved trucks.<br>
<br>
- -Perrone Ford<br>
1991 RR (no radio, weak AC, moldy carpet, full set of tools in the boot)<br>
<br>
(Please note this is NOT a slam on TeriAnn, I didn't have the original post)<br>
<br>
<br>
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]">
  <blockquote type="cite"><pre wrap="">If you can't figure out how to get the bonnet open on your car and change a<br>set of sparkplugs (not said HAVEN't - said CAN'T) then the RRO list is a<br>great place.<br></pre></blockquote>
    <pre wrap=""><!----><br>But you know we all need to start someplace.   The first time I tried to <br>replace a set of spark plugs I was so clumsy with socket wrenches that I <br>ended up breaking the top off a plug when the socket slipped out.  Then <br>soon afterwards I was driving down the road and heard a big bang followed <br>by rapid banging.  Ends up I did not tighten a plug enough and it came <br>loose and popped put of the hole while I was driving.  I just kept trying <br>and over time figured out how to successfully change a set of plugs.<br><br>I learned on a simple car.  It was intimidating enough before the days of <br>SMOG equipment on a basic V8.  I think if I were to get a newish car I <br>too would be afraid of what I saw under the bonnet.  <br><br>I once borrowed my bosses wife's Sunbird when I had both cars down for a <br>week.  The starter motor went out.  SO I grabbed my tools to pull it and <br>run down to my local auto parts store for a replacement.!
  You know it <br>took me a long whre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:37:16 -0700
From: Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

- --------------30F7FD1471AFF8B36C99E285
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

BP wants $45 per axle for Lockheed pads.

Jeff

Perrone Ford wrote:

> I just ordered a set from NAPA.  They had the rears in stock.
> Autozone don't carry anything and neither did Pep Boys.  I don't know
> what kind of BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a HELL of a lot more than
> $20!!
>
> On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?
>
> -Perrone
>
> Carl Kinkade wrote:
>
>> I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.  As a
>> matter of
>> fact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull
>> the wheels
>> off and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do
>> it.
>>
>> Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR),
>> I looked
>> in my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are
>> outrageous.  I
>> replaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and
>> they had
>> a lifetime warranty.
>>
>> Carl Kinkade, MCRP
>>

- --------------30F7FD1471AFF8B36C99E285
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
BP wants $45 per axle for Lockheed pads.
<br><br>
Jeff
<p>Perrone Ford wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE>I just ordered a set from NAPA.&nbsp; They had the
rears in stock.&nbsp; Autozone don't carry anything and neither did Pep
Boys.&nbsp; I don't know what kind of BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a
HELL of a lot more than $20!!
<p>On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?
<p>-Perrone
<p>Carl Kinkade wrote:
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]">
<pre wrap="">I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.&nbsp; As a matter of
fact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull the wheels
off and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do it.

Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR), I looked
in my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are outrageous.&nbsp; I
replaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and they had
a lifetime warranty.

Carl Kinkade, MCRP</pre>
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
</html>

- --------------30F7FD1471AFF8B36C99E285--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:48:17 -0400
From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: The LRO/RRO test

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C10619.EDEC4D00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Nicely said Perrone - Plus a lot of the time the trucks are under warrantee
(something I don't think ANY coiler can say!) and even if bought used the
warrantee is still in place.  On the LRO list I have told people to "take it
to the dealer" on warrantee issues rather than tell then how to fix it.

Lee

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Perrone Ford
  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:33 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: LRO: The LRO/RRO test

  You know,

     This is just damn silly.  I am on the RRO list and there are any number
of competent folk on that list that do PLENTY of work on their rovers.
While you may find a higher percentage of folk on the LRO that do their own
work, MANY would be lost (without the shop manual) trying to figure out how
to diagnose ECU, fuel injection systems, emission control systems, ABS, etc.
These are VERY complicated systems and take time to learn.

     I'm getting pretty tired of hearing how coiler people can only manage
to figure out how to work the CD player and such.  Last June I started
working on my 91 RR.  I have NEVER worked on ANY car in my life before that.
I started with an oil change, and then filters, and then a tune up, and then
I did the 72k service which has quite a few things on it.  I have spent the
last year learning ALL the systems in my truck from the shop manual and
other coiler enthusiasts.  So if I, a relative novice, can learn to service
EVERY major system in the truck in under a year, then the collective here
could do it in less than half the time.  They are not magic.  They work on
simple basic principles just like every other 4 stroke engine mated to a
transmission and mounted on a chassis.  The details may be different, but
not THAT different.  There is NOTHING electrical you can't run down with a
good multi-meter.  And the rest is just wrenching and patience.

     So PLEASE stop bashing coiler owners.  We are not all ignorant prisses,
we DO care about ALL land rovers, and we just want to have a good time with
our beloved trucks.

  -Perrone Ford
  1991 RR (no radio, weak AC, moldy carpet, full set of tools in the boot)

  (Please note this is NOT a slam on TeriAnn, I didn't have the original
post)

  TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

If you can't figure out how to get the bonnet open on your car and change
aset of sparkplugs (not said HAVEN't - said CAN'T) then the RRO list is
agreat place.
But you know we all need to start someplace.   The first time I tried to
replace a set of spark plugs I was so clumsy with socket wrenches that I
ended up breaking the top off a plug when the socket slipped out.  Then soon
afterwards I was driving down the road and heard a big bang followed by
rapid banging.  Ends up I did not tighten a plug enough and it came loose
and popped put of the hole while I was driving.  I just kept trying and over
time figured out how to successfully change a set of plugs.I learned on a
simple car.  It was intimidating enough before the days of SMOG equipment on
a basic V8.  I think if I were to get a newish car I too would be afraid of
what I saw under the bonnet.  I once borrowed my bosses wife's Sunbird when
I had both cars down for a week.  The starter motor went out.  SO I grabbed
my tools to pull it and run down to my local auto parts store for a
replacement.!
  You know it took me a long whre>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C10619.EDEC4D00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D694324516-06072001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Nicely=20
said Perrone - Plus a lot of the time the trucks are under warrantee =
(something=20
I don't think ANY coiler can say!) and even if bought used the warrantee =
is=20
still in place.&nbsp; On the LRO list I have told people to "take it to =
the=20
dealer" on warrantee issues rather than tell then how to fix=20
it.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Lee<BR></FONT></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
[email-masked]=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Perrone=20
  Ford<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, July 06, 2001 12:33 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: LRO: The LRO/RRO=20
  test<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>You know,<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; This is just =
damn=20
  silly.&nbsp; I am on the RRO list and there are any number of =
competent folk=20
  on that list that do PLENTY of work on their rovers.&nbsp; While you =
may find=20
  a higher percentage of folk on the LRO that do their own work, MANY =
would be=20
  lost (without the shop manual) trying to figure out how to diagnose =
ECU, fuel=20
  injection systems, emission control systems, ABS, etc.&nbsp; These are =
VERY=20
  complicated systems and take time to learn.&nbsp; <BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; =
I'm=20
  getting pretty tired of hearing how coiler people can only manage to =
figure=20
  out how to work the CD player and such.&nbsp; Last June I started =
working on=20
  my 91 RR.&nbsp; I have NEVER worked on ANY car in my life before =
that.&nbsp; I=20
  started with an oil change, and then filters, and then a tune up, and =
then I=20
  did the 72k service which has quite a few things on it.&nbsp; I have =
spent the=20
  last year learning ALL the systems in my truck from the shop manual =
and other=20
  coiler enthusiasts.&nbsp; So if I, a relative novice, can learn to =
service=20
  EVERY major system in the truck in under a year, then the collective =
here=20
  could do it in less than half the time.&nbsp; They are not =
magic.&nbsp; They=20
  work on simple basic principles just like every other 4 stroke engine =
mated to=20
  a transmission and mounted on a chassis.&nbsp; The details may be =
different,=20
  but not THAT different.&nbsp; There is NOTHING electrical you can't =
run down=20
  with a good multi-meter.&nbsp; And the rest is just wrenching and=20
  patience.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; So PLEASE stop bashing coiler =
owners.&nbsp; We=20
  are not all ignorant prisses, we DO care about ALL land rovers, and we =
just=20
  want to have a good time with our beloved trucks.<BR><BR>-Perrone =
Ford<BR>1991=20
  RR (no radio, weak AC, moldy carpet, full set of tools in the=20
  boot)<BR><BR>(Please note this is NOT a slam on TeriAnn, I didn't have =
the=20
  original post)<BR><BR><BR>TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"mid:[email-masked]"=20
    type=3D"cite"><BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">If you can't =
figure out how to get the bonnet open on your car and change a<BR>set of =
sparkplugs (not said HAVEN't - said CAN'T) then the RRO list is =
a<BR>great place.<BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----><BR>But =
you know we all need to start someplace.   The first time I tried to =
<BR>replace a set of spark plugs I was so clumsy with socket wrenches =
that I <BR>ended up breaking the top off a plug when the socket slipped =
out.  Then <BR>soon afterwards I was driving down the road and heard a =
big bang followed <BR>by rapid banging.  Ends up I did not tighten a =
plug enough and it came <BR>loose and popped put of the hole while I was =
driving.  I just kept trying <BR>and over time figured out how to =
successfully change a set of plugs.<BR><BR>I learned on a simple car.  =
It was intimidating enough before the days of <BR>SMOG equipment on a =
basic V8.  I think if I were to get a newish car I <BR>too would be =
afraid of what I saw under the bonnet.  <BR><BR>I once borrowed my =
bosses wife's Sunbird when I had both cars down for a <BR>week.  The =
starter motor went out.  SO I grabbed my tools to pull it and <BR>run =
down to my local auto parts store for a replacement.!
  You know it <BR>took me a long whre&gt;
    </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C10619.EDEC4D00--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:50:42 -0500
From: "Carl Kinkade" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

I got the $20 pads for the BMW at O'Riellys, I don't know if you have those
in Florida, but there everywhere around here.  I called NAPA and he told me
$139 for the front and that the rear pads weren't even in his book (for the
rover).

I had a friend that made the same suggestion about the 02 sensor.

Carl Kinkade, MCRP
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Kinkade GIS
Using GIS for Public Health and Community Analysis
Lincoln, NE 68502
work (402) 420-6882
fax (402) 420-6882
[email-masked]
- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Perrone Ford
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

I just ordered a set from NAPA.  They had the rears in stock.  Autozone
don't carry anything and neither did Pep Boys.  I don't know what kind of
BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a HELL of a lot more than $20!!

On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?

- -Perrone

Carl Kinkade wrote:

I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.  As a matter
offact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull the
wheelsoff and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do
it.Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR), I
lookedin my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are outrageous.
Ireplaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and they
hada lifetime warranty.Carl Kinkade, MCRP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:51:43 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Rangie Fuel Milage (was:  1994 County SWB)

1995 Classic RR SWB 3.9 V8 12MPG City 15MPG H'way.

>>> [email-masked] 07/06/01 11:40AM >>>

> I have a '95 RR LWB and love it, but be prepared to pay for fuel costs if
> you drive it very much.  I average about 10 mpg.
>

Is this typical milage?  Have a friend with a 95 but never asked.
Find it hard to believe that it gets milage so low.  Our full size GMC with
a 5.0l gets about 18 around the city and got 24mpg highway when we still
lived in a place that you could drive for more then 10 miles on a highway at
over 40mph.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:51:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

- --- "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]> wrote:
 So far as I'm
> aware, the 
> front passenger compartment in a Model 109 is virtually identical to
> the 
> front passenger compartment in an 88, 

109 regulars have 3 more inches at top-of-seat-box height. With the
defender seats in my 109, I fele like I have 4-6 inches more leg room
than in my 88 with either the original or defender seats. In a 109 SW,
you can remove the bar behind the front seats if you have self
supporting seat backs. this allows even more leg room thna I have in my
2-door. Most drivers of standard-seated 88's and 109's are amazed and
disoriented when they sit in my 109. Bill Rice thought my steering
column was different than his. When I had the defnder seats in the 88,
nobody ever thought it was any roomier than with the stock seats. BTW,
i am 6'2" and I don't think my legs are particularly or unusually
short. in the 88", I'm a little cramped but it is very doable and I
have driven it for 12 hours straight many times. But the 109 is a whole
differnet ballgame. In fact, i had an idea to convert a 109 regular
rear bed into an 88 bed, by removing the side panels, cutting the
necessary amount off the back end, replacing the back end panels and
rear cross piece, repositioning the underfloor cross pieces if
necessary, and replacing the side panels with those from an 88. You may
have to remove the wheel well toool boxes and spare holder that are
often found on a 109 regular but the end result would be about 4-6"
less cargo space, and 4-6" more leg room. You would have to weld new
brackets onto for the front part of the tub to mount to the frame
though.

best
daveb

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:52:56 -0700
From: Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: parts houses...

Out of curiousity, for some reason British Pacific doesn't seem to get
mentioned much when people are looking for parts.  Usually I only see
Atlantic British or Rovers North.

Is it a regional issue?  Am I shopping with the evil empire?  Just
curious.  British Pacific is local to me (30 miles) so I use them and
the prices seem good.

Just wondering.  I don't have a stake in anything other then my own
truck.

Jeff Bieler

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:59:50 -0500
From: "Carl Kinkade" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

And just to add a quick note, the BMW pads were $20 for front and $20 for
rear, so $40 total, I even replaced the rotors and they were $30 per set
(that is $60 total), so the whole brake job costs me $100.  And would have
taken me about 30 minutes to do the whole job, if I could have gotten the
hex-head bolt out of the rotor on the front.  That thing was a bitch, I
soaked, heated, beat, cussed, kicked, and screamed and finally I think it
just gave up from exhaustion from laughing at me. :)

Carl Kinkade, MCRP
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Kinkade GIS
Using GIS for Public Health and Community Analysis
Lincoln, NE 68502
work (402) 420-6882
fax (402) 420-6882
[email-masked]
- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Perrone Ford
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

I just ordered a set from NAPA.  They had the rears in stock.  Autozone
don't carry anything and neither did Pep Boys.  I don't know what kind of
BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a HELL of a lot more than $20!!

On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?

- -Perrone

Carl Kinkade wrote:

I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.  As a matter
offact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull the
wheelsoff and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do
it.Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR), I
lookedin my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are outrageous.
Ireplaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and they
hada lifetime warranty.Carl Kinkade, MCRP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

- --- TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]> wrote:
 bottom line is that
> your 
> hips and feet are in the same relative locations in both 88s & 109s.

I can slide the defender seats back over the lip at the back of the
seatbox, which said lip is the greatest hindrance to further back
sliding of the seats in a series land rover. this really does end up
creating a huge differenc in the leg position, not just shoulder
position. I can steer with my knees in the 109 while I roll a
cigarette, but not in the 88. in the 88 i just let go of the steering
wheel. Since I've had the steering proeprly aligned, it tracks straight
enough that I have time to perform the parts of the cigarette rolling
procedure that require both hands, before the truck starts to veer too
much into the other lane/soft shoulder/bridge pylon/what have you.

best
daveb

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:04:45 -0500
From: "Carl Kinkade" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

Thanks for the suggestion Alan,

I just called PartsAmerica, which is now named Advanced Auto Parts here, and
the price is $46.50 for the front and $20 for the rear.  That is a hell of a
lot better than the price out of Atlantic British.

Carl Kinkade, MCRP
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Kinkade GIS
Using GIS for Public Health and Community Analysis
Lincoln, NE 68502
work (402) 420-6882
fax (402) 420-6882
[email-masked]

- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

Re: Pads:

To be honest, last time I needed Range ROver pads I went to PartsAmerica
and got them there. No problem - had 'em for me in a day or so.

I was pleased - they weren't $20/set but were a squatload cheaper than
AB/RN/MOUSE.....

Funniest part was they were Australian-made aftermarket heavy-duty
pads....even better.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:05:21 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: parts houses...

<html><head></head><body>Jeff,<br>
<br>
 &nbsp;&nbsp; I understand BP is a VERY good shop.&nbsp; Since I'm in FL, shipping from
the west coast is slower and more costly.&nbsp; I mostly order from RN, and sometimes
AB since they are closer and maintain a relationship with our Rover Club.<br>
<br>
- -P<br>
<br>
Jeff Bieler wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]"><pre wrap="">Out of curiousity, for some reason British Pacific doesn't seem to get<br>mentioned much when people are looking for parts.  Usually I only see<br>Atlantic British or Rovers North.<br><br>Is it a regional issue?  Am I shopping with the evil empire?  Just<br>curious.  British Pacific is local to me (30 miles) so I use them and<br>the prices seem good.<br><br>Just wondering.  I don't have a stake in anything other then my own<br>truck.<br><br>Jeff Bieler</pre>
  </blockquote>
  <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jerrod <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Axel

What's up fellow Rovers!!  New to the list and I love
it.  I have a question...I have a lean on the rear
wheels, they lean in at the top.  I had thought it was
bad bearings, changed those and the race was fine
also. This was no improvement.   I also thought maybe
it was bad shocks but I don't think it causes that
problem when the Axel is straight. It wears my tires
out quickly and It looks kinda funny, I don't like
lookin' funny in my 'Red Bull' as I like to think of
him.  I have been in many forums, none as great as
this one so far, so any suggestions would be
fantastic.

Peace,
Jerrod
89RR 'Red Bull'

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series Driver Height. Was: Dodge front ends

- --- [email-masked] wrote:

> Does anybody on this list have access to hard facts?

Shhh. Well, some of us do. but we weren't going ot let on...

It's a washington DC thing.

dave

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Electrical Issues

- --- Brendan Evans <[email-masked]> wrote:
 When rev'd sparks flew between two of the coils in 
> the regulator, (as you face it the two most right).  

Cough
Cou<delco>gh.
Cough

DaveB

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:13:37 -0500
From: "Carl Kinkade" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

I haven't changed the pads on a rover yet, is there anything I should know?
I have changed pads on a BMW, Jeep, SAAB (these were the trickiest, because
the calipers required being screwed in while compressed and I didn't have
the "special" tool), Ford EXP, Chevy Cutlass, and a Fiat (don't laugh, it
was a fun car....the convertible spider...but I learned why Fiat stands for
Fix It Again Tony).

Carl Kinkade, MCRP
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Kinkade GIS
Using GIS for Public Health and Community Analysis
Lincoln, NE 68502
work (402) 420-6882
fax (402) 420-6882
[email-masked]
- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Perrone Ford
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

I just ordered a set from NAPA.  They had the rears in stock.  Autozone
don't carry anything and neither did Pep Boys.  I don't know what kind of
BMW YOU have but my Pagids are a HELL of a lot more than $20!!

On that RR, when is the last time you replaced the Oxygen sensors?

- -Perrone

Carl Kinkade wrote:

I have had no time to look at it, work has been killing me.  As a matter
offact, the pads have been squealing and I haven't had time to pull the
wheelsoff and look at them, even though I keep telling myself I need to do
it.Speaking of which, do ya'll have any suggestions for pads ('95 RR), I
lookedin my Atlantic British catalog and noticed the prices are outrageous.
Ireplaced the ones on our BMW and it costs me about $20 per set and they
hada lifetime warranty.Carl Kinkade, MCRP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Dodge front ends

- --- Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That and it's interesting to find out what people consider "real
> off-roaders".
> Usually it includes a definition that makes sure that their truck in
> included,

well, that means that I would have to include "stock exhaust pipe hangs
low enough to burn the hair off a squirrel." 

and "routinely pops out of second gear"

best
DaveB

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 2001 10:21:38 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: parts houses...

I purchased a drive shaft from BP this year and the product and service was top notch.  My neighbor has a 69 88, and purchases virtually all his parts from BP - likes them quite well.  I tend to be more toward the WiseOwl end of the price spectrum - but I appreciated the price and availability BP had on the DS.

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:22:35 -0700
From: Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

This whole "driver height" issue didn't work out as I planned at all!

I was hoping to see a flood of 88" 's come up for sale from you guys over
5"6".

;-)

- - Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:27:52 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

Everything Bobeck said, plus, when the defender seats are all the way
back and the recline is set all the way back, my shoulders are about
even with the center of the T piece. The cross piece has to be removed
for the defender seats as it woul keep the seat from going all the way
back in it's slide.
- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

- --- TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]> wrote:
 If there were no counter points, the world would be a much
> 
> duller place with way too narrow a view point.

No it wouldn't.

dave

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:31:49 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Axel

I don't think the axle is supposed to have much camber. I would have it
looked at and the camber of the rear axle checked on a proper wheel
alignment guage. I'd hate to think that the axle had sustained some kind
of damage that would knock the wheels in at the top.
- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: DaveB <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

- --- Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I was hoping to see a flood of 88" 's come up for sale from you guys
> over
> 5"6".

I showed my 88 to a prospective buyer who was over 6'. The first thing
he asked when he got in was "does the seat move back?"

I knew then that there wouldn't be a sale that day.

Dave

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #443
**********************************************