Subject: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 04:01:35 EDT

First of all, I plead ignorance - 3 weeks ago, I didn't even know what a Land 
Rover was.  Ok, ok - have your laugh but please read on!  I have an 
opportunity to purchase a 1994 County SWB from an aquaintance.  It is in need 
of repair/replacement of the rear hatch (handle area rusted and the handle 
fell off) and this was estimated to be a $1,000 replacement at the 
dealership.  I haven't actually looked at the hatch, so I can't comment 
further on the specific problem, except that it will not latch and is 
currently held closed with bungee cords.  Other than that, it is in decent 
shape and I can get it for a very reasonable price.  I have read some of the 
debate over the LWB model, and at least one person mentioned that the SWB 
models might not have as much trouble with the engine and suspension.  I am 
interested to hear some opinions on this model - both on its own merits and 
compared to any other models.  Also, I am wondering if anyone has had this 
same problem with the hatch, and whether a replacement can be found and 
replaced with significant savings compared to the dealer estimate.  If this 
isn't a suitable subject for the list, I apologize and off-list replies are 
welcome.  Thanks.  -  Gary