Re: LRO: Pros and Cons: 1994 County SWB

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 05:21:37 EDT

    On Friday 06 July 2001 09:01, EightxTen@aol.com wrote:
    > First of all, I plead ignorance - 3 weeks ago, I didn't even know
    > what a Land Rover was. Ok, ok - have your laugh but please read on!
    > I have an opportunity to purchase a 1994 County SWB from an
    > aquaintance.
    Gary,

    I'm guessing that this is a Range Rover, in which case there si a
    parallel list called the RR list (see
    http://www.land-rover.team.net/lro-info.html for the various lists, and
    the area's they cover)

    By "Rear Hatch", I presume you mean the upper tail-gate - the glazed
    bit. This usually is best replaced as a whole section, but is only held
    in with 4 bolts (and a bit of wiring). If the upper tail-gate has gone,
    the lower is probably not far behind, so check it carefully.

    Range Rovers are also prone to rust in the inner wings (mainly the
    fronts), and the sills. The wings are bolt in replacements, but the
    sills will need welded.

    The differnece bewtween LWB & SWB range rover is not great, however I
    have no direct knowledge of either, so couldn't really comment on
    differences - though I'd hazard that the SWB is bettwe in the rough,
    but the LWB will soak up the bumps better at (highway) speed

    Before you buy, check the chassis carefully: tap the main rails,
    listening for the muted ringing solid metal and not the wet thud of
    flaking metal; check the top of the rails, as this is where the mud and
    water lies; check the outriggers, as they are annoying to replace;
    check for leaks from the gearbox (main box, transfer box, and seeping
    past the hand-brake) Check for leaks in the engine (both on the sump,
    and the vanny between the V of the heads)

    Drive it, and make sure that the center diff-lock engages and
    disengages.

    Take someone with you, if you think you can...

    --
    Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.