Re: LRO: Electrical Issues

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 00:32:08 EDT

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Keith Tanner wrote:

    :Perhaps not a lot of help, but when I started having trouble with my
    :charging system, I took a different approach. Instead of debugging what I
    :considered to be outdated and marginal, I simply put a new GM alternator in
    :the truck. Cheap (under $100 Cdn) and easy, I can get spares anywhere, it's
    :self-regulating and it puts out more power. I was even able to reuse my
    :stock generator mounting bracket.
    :

    I second this advice. Go get a Delco. The one you want is for a 75
    Olds 88 with aircon -- this has a double pulley, which makes this as
    close to a bolt in as you're going to get. It's worth calling around
    for a price, you can easily spend twice what you need to. (Autozone
    was about $50 US, including core. Another local place was about $100)
    Fit a bushing to the mounting bolt hole so it's 5/16 ths, instead of
    3/8. (or you can drill out hte genny mount, but that's more work). Then
    follow the electrical bits of Al Richer's instructions (somewhere at
    www.ovlr.org). It's a lazy afternoon's work.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.