LRO: Electrical Issues

From: Brendan Evans (brendan_evans@nols.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 14:37:29 EDT

    Hello,

    I am having some issues with the electrical system in my 1968 109 sw.
    It has a negative ground and uses the generator/regulator combo.
    Recently the generator went out, no problem I took to the local shop
    here in Lander and it was fixed and test good. On pacing the
    generator back into the Rover the charge light did not go off. On
    closer listen the regulator seems to be now making an ominous
    crackling noise. When rev'd sparks flew between two of the coils in
    the regulator, (as you face it the two most right). Should I be
    looking for a problem with the connections from the generator to the
    regulator and possibly a short somewhere else in the system, or is
    this type of behavior indicative of a problem with the regulator?

    Thanks for your time,

    Brendan Evans