Re: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 13:54:15 EDT

    >From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
    >By that time the series rigs were mostly in the hands of independent
    >minded, somewhat out of the mainstream people, who had to mail order all
    >parts and learn to do most all their own maintenance.

    Hey!!! I vigorously resemble that characterization. 'Somewhat' is off the
    mark, however, I'm completely at the end of the stream and the World, for
    that matter, living on an Island in the middle of the Pacifc Ocean. Imagine
    the rest of us old time Series owners probably are in the same boat as
    TeriAnn's description. I think most of those who say 'don't modify anything
    on the series' aren't us. We just think that those who want to try and make
    a Sow's Series into a Silk D90 are beating, not only a dead horse, but one
    that has gone way beyond dead into advanced decomposition. Do it yourself,
    make it reliable, and keep it simple should probably be the motto of the
    leafer list. If it can be done with coils or V-8's, so much the better, but
    don't ruin the character of the basic truck. Especially since we don't have
    the interim vehicles or reasonably priced ones, for that matter, that are
    available in Merrie Olde. Even though the decade old RR's are cheap, they
    still are an overly complicated vehicle with electricity routed throughout,
    and through all sorts of magic devices. They will never be suitable
    tinkerer's trucks for those of us, like me, who can't get beyond the water
    hose anology of electrical theory.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally running.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust