Subject: LRO: Model 88 fuel tank (was Dodge front ends)

From: "C. Marin Faure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:18:39 -0700

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:30:35 -0400
From: "Perrone Ford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Dodge front ends

>In the case of the
SWB, I could also have added not having to SIT on top of the fuel tank...

Well, in a LHD drive Model 88, you're not sitting on top of the
fuel tank unless you've added an auxiliary tank.  And I think
I'd rather sit on top of a metal tank like the Land Rover's
than be in a vehicle with a plastic tank like many vehicles
seem to use these days.  Actually, a real
advantage of the Model 88's tank is its position.  More than likely,
you're going to be hit from the front or rear in a road accident.  My
BMW 635csi has its fuel tank under the floor of the trunk, like most
cars.  Someone slamming into me from behind is going to have a
pretty good chance of rupturing that tank.  The Model 88's center-
mounted fuel tank is pretty much out of the way when it comes to
front, rear, or quartering impacts.  The 88's tank is vulnerable
to a hit from that side, but T-bone accidents are not as common
as front, rear, and quartering hits.

If a person is truly concerned about sitting on top of fuel tanks,
they would be advised to stay off of busses and most commercial
airplanes.  In both cases, there's a lot of fuel under the floor, unless
it's a propane bus, in which case the fuel is over your head.

________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
   Seattle, WA