Re: LRO: RE: Jeep Liberty was Stock off-road (was Dodge front ends)

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 17:29:30 EDT

    Yes Jeep did, sort of, try the Rubicon with the new IFS Liberty. They used
    stock AT tires and had to be winched over most of the obstacles. Don't
    think the truck made it anywhere near all the way through the trail and
    suffered considerable customization by the country side. Really took b*lls
    for them to even try a stock truck on that trail, however. Universal
    response from the testers was NOT WITH THOSE SMALL TIRES. Unclear what you
    would have to do to fit decent rubber under the truck. If its typical jeep,
    its a 4" lift minimum.

    Testers did praise Jeep for getting as much travel and ground clearance out
    of the IFS as possible, unlike the Freelander. Funny they went with a new
    V-6 instead of the tried and true inline 6. Even GM is seeing the light on
    straight six engines for truck applications.

    Aloha
    Peter O.