Re: LRO: Dodge front ends

From: Paul Oxley (paul@adventures.co.za)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 14:58:24 EDT

    N Forbes wrote:

    > >month (Liuwa Plains, western Zambia - yell if you want to see photos),
    > >my swb now carries 240l in the main tanks :-{)}
    > YELL!!

    They're in an embarrassingly crappy format, but you can view at
    http://BraaiGrid.org.za/liuwanumber1.htm, and
    http://BraaiGrid.org.za/liuwanumber2.htm

    Mine is the green shorty that gets snatched off it's jerry cans to try
    get out of a 7km marsh :-{>}

    If that sounds cryptic, let me explain... The plains are very shallow
    depressions, covered in long grass. The water is invisible until you are
    already well into it, at which stage you can't risk stopping or you sink
    into the mud which lies about a foot under the water's surface. Anyway,
    so you pray that you don't hit a soft patch or a hole, or run out of
    momentum before you reach the edge of the water.

    On the 21st of June, on the way to the northern reaches of the park to
    view the solar eclipse, I drove into one of these plains, and got bogged
    after about 7kms - ironically just 25m before the dry ground. I had one
    other vehicle with me (a Series 3s with Chev 4.1 engine for the
    technos), and the rest of our 11 Land-Rover convoy was just at the edges
    of radio contact (all we could hear was "On my mark now.
    One...two...three, pull!", so we figured we were on our own). We tried
    to pull the shorty from the front, but the other truck just got bogged
    immediately. We tried pushing the shorty, but were immediately rewarded
    with a "Snap!" sound as the rear long half-shaft said goodnight.

    After much toing and froing we developed the technique of jacking and
    pushing the S3s into fresh tracks so it could pull away, then jacking
    the front of the shorty, putting jerry cans under the front wheels, then
    jacking the back and placing jerrys there. Then we would attach the
    towropes to the front shackle on the shorty, leave a loop on the ground
    next to the vehicle, and have DJ (son of a friend) hold the loop of the
    towrope waiting for the S3s to circle round, gather speed and come
    sailing past so we could lassoo the towball and snatch the shorty off
    it's 'starting blocks'. We would gain about 5m everytime we did this,
    then start all over from scratch, rotating the shorty slightly to give
    us new tracks every time.

    Much fun was had by all, and the eclipse was viewed standing knee deep
    in water and mud :-{)}

    Regards

    Paul Oxley
    AfricanAdrenalin.com