RE: Real offoraders (was LRO: Dodge front ends)

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 12:09:54 EDT

    Yes,

            The departure angle on the stock RR isn't so hot. Nor is the approach
    angle with the front spoiler. So the front spoiler was removed week one.
    The rear overhang was more difficult to deal with, but I have dragged my
    butt over a LOT of hills. And a 33x10.50 Swamper fits easily in the stock
    wheel well (yes I've done it). I believe that's bigger than the stock
    defender or series tire, so I don't see the problem.

            I'm not sure with your second question if you actually mean VCU (Viscous
    coupling unit) or ECU (Electronic Control Unit). In the case of the VCU,
    I'd simply remove the front drive shaft, BTDT. In the case of the ECU, I'd
    simply replace it. It takes all of 15 minutes and you don't even have to
    get dirty doing it. Too many people make such a big deal out of the ECU
    getting fried. It's just like anything else. Keep a spare. You can get
    them from wreckers and other sources for a few hundred bucks.

    -P