Re: LRO: Re: New vs. old reliability

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 19:27:53 EDT

    Hi All--

    Bryan Hoult wrote:

    > Along these lines, I have been utterly dumbfounded by the recent interest many people are expressing in old AMC products like the Pacer and Gremlin. These cars were truly dorky.

    Also the Hornet, and earlier Americans. What they all had going for
    them was the same shared, solid, reliable, easy-to-maintain engine and
    drive-train system. Sure they were ugly, but you could fix anything on
    them with a good set of hand tools, a big piece of pipe and a
    come-along. These buggers were dead simple, and dead simple mechanics
    like me could keep them going for hundreds of thousands of miles. Like
    ugly carpets, they didn't wear out unless you mistreated them horribly.

    Chrysler's slant-six engine was the same way. If I could maintain that,
    anybody could. Cars were better looking than AMC products, though.

    <i-still-wouldn't-sit-near-a-pacer-though>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan;-)
    Ivan Van Laningham
    Symantec
    http://www.pauahtun.org