Re: LRO: Heat "gauge"problems 2.25l Petrol

From: Steve Mace (steve@solwise.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 06:25:47 EDT

    Yes... but not on a 2.25 petrol. I suffered with this problem on the Defender
    90 (tdi diesel). I changed the thermostat three times and still kept on going
    almost to the red. I then got a local garage to put a temperature probe down
    the dip stick tube to measure the engine oil and it came out bang on 90
    dgrees which is the correct temperature. It seems that my guage is faulty (I
    tried swapping the sender but still wrong). So now I have an extra resister in
    the sender wire so as to 'fudge' the temperature to about mid way when at
    normal running temp. Been that way since last autumn with no problems.
    One day I'll swap the guage but, heck it works this way so what's the rush?

    On 1 Jul 2001, at 21:48, Lance da Silva wrote:

    > My S111 ran very hot on the gauge, so I removed the thermostat & ordered a new
    > one. Whilst waiting for the new unit to arrive, I ran temporarily without a
    > thermostat. Now the gauge hardly comes up at all. New unit arrives, and straight
    > up to just short of the red goes the needle. Anyone encountered anything
    > similar?

    Steve

    1972 SIII LtWt Green
    1993 D90 Red