Re: LRO: War Over Galvanizing Strange New French Guy

From: lroml@minbar.fourfold.org
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 19:06:17 EDT

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Jeff Berg wrote:

    > As I said, otherwise a concise and excellent introduction to the
    > Marque--perhaps worthy of being archived in the FAQ. Dixon?

    Well, there is http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.history.html already.

    As per some slight inaccuracies, Bantam originally developed the Jeep, but
    being a small company, the bulk of the contracts to build the original
    Jeep went to better positioned companies such as Willys, Ford and others.

    Jeff is correct about the aluminium versus steel issue. Aluminium was
    plentiful (lots of aircraft being decomissioned etc), and steel was being
    rationed. In fact, how much steel you received was a direct relationship
    with your level of exports. Rover was forced over to aluminium for these
    reasons, and others. And don't forget, as far as Rover was concerned, the
    LR was only a short term stopgap to fill in production until their cars
    took off.

    The IIA vs II was more a change in the way that suffix letters were to be
    used. If continued, there would have been the IIB, IIC, IID up through G
    as major changes were implimented, but this was never really followed.
    see http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.suffix.IIA.html

    You can see from this table that changes occurred all throughout the IIA
    history, and to some on this list (Russell Dushin, myself etc) the
    traitorous switch to negative earth and the implication of the future
    demise of the corporation under BL, BAe, BMW and now Ford can proably be
    traced to this ill-informed decision. The Series III (which was really
    nothing spectacular as most of the "innovations" found in the III
    (alternator, all synchro gearbox, headlamps in the wings, vinyl dash, etc)
    existed in the last Series IIA vehicles.

    > full, accurate, and equally well researched report regarding "The
    > Girls On the Beach" tomorrow.

    Hmmm, have to look for this... :-)

    Rgds,

    Dixon