Re: LRO: Straight Six (was New Guy....)

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 02:31:32 EDT

    > :
    > :>Some engineer told me a long time ago that the most inherantly
    > vibration free
    > :engine design is a straight six... To do with the period the
    > cylinders
    > :reciprocate at.
    > :
    > :I've heard this many times, too. The only thing smoother than a
    > straight six
    > :is a V-12.

    In terms of primary and secondary imbalance straight 6 and eight are the
    equal of a V12 or 16 unless the V angle is 180 degrees, than you have
    true cancellation and only have a horizontal rocking couple perpendicular
    to the crank, this holds true down to a twin and if it has a "knife and
    fork" rod arrangement then no rocking couple. V8's with 82 deg. angle
    are smoother then ones with 90, and one with 107 deg has a stronger
    vibration but it is in plane that is easier to damp.

    > Fans of non-reciprocating engines, like Wankels and gas turbines,
    > laugh at
    > statements like that, of course.

    I give you the gas turbine, but with all the gyrations a Wankel rotor
    goes through I can;t see how it is called a "non-reciprocating" engine

    chris hall