Subject: LRO: true oh so true

From: "James G.Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 04:20:42 -0400

For all Scout jockeys who really want a series  Land-Rover 8^).

> > > Subject: How to view life
> > >
> > >
> > > A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in
> front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty
> mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in
> diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that
> it was.  So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them
> into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled
> into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if
> the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor picked up a box of
> sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything
> else.  "Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is
> your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner,
> your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and
> only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the
> other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is
> everything else. The small stuff."  "If you put the sand into the jar
> first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for
> your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you
> will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay
> attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with
> your children. Take time to get medical checkups.  Take your partner out
> dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a
> dinner party and fix the disposal."   "Take care of the rocks first - the
> things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."  
> 
> But then... A student took the jar which the other students and the
> professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer. Of
> course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar
> truly full. The moral of this tale is: That no matter how full your life
> is, there is always room for BEER.

Jim Wolf