Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #423

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:19:20 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Friday, June 29 2001 Volume 01 : Number 423

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:15:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Re: Wiring

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

:
:> That's what I was looking for. I imagine it's impractical for them to
:> provide any outer armour as each install will be different.
:>
:Yeah, I wonder if it would be worth it to run long segments inside of Romex,
:the flex cable used in homes.

Do you mean Romex, or BX?  Romex is plastic covering two insulated wires
plus an uninsulated ground.  BX is flexible metal conduit.  There are
plastic harness conduit stuff.  I've used three sorts, though none in
cars.  One is like BX, just plastic, one is that, plus a continuous cut,
so you can assemble a harness with having to undo things.  The third,
which I like much better, is a spiral wrapped thing.  It allows you to
add and remove wires at any point along the run, and you don't have to
worry about it falling out like with continous split stuff.  Comes in
neat colors, too.  I've seen all of these products in use in autos, so they
should be easy to find.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:16:49 -0700
From: Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Busch Gardens

It's a low security prison complex where Anheiser Busch can shamelessly plug
their really bad beer on parents stuck entertaining their children.

Jeff

Frank Elson wrote:

> can someone explain Busch Gardens for an iggerant limey please?
>
> Best Cheers
>
> Frank
>     +--+--+--+
>      I !__|  [_]|_\___
>      I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
>      "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Peter Ogilvie <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 10:58 PM
> Subject: Re: LRO: Busch Gardens
>
> > Interesting!!  Don't think it was because of speed as they were special
> > trucks.  Seem to remember they only had low/low range gearing and couldn't
> > exceed 10mph.  The Klump's idea sounds like a logical assumption for the
> > roll over.  Can you imagine 5,000lbs on one side as far outboard as they
> > could get it.
> >
> > Aloha
> > Peter O
> >
> > >From: "Larry Smith" <[email-masked]>
> > >Reply-To: [email-masked]
> > >To: "Land Rover Owner Net" <[email-masked]>
> > >Subject: LRO: Busch Gardens
> > >Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:53:11 -0400
> > >
> > >See where they rolled one of the new Land Rover Safaris at Busch Garden
> > >today.
> > >
> > >No details yet.
> > >
> > >Larry Smith
> > >Chester, VA
> > >
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
> >
> >

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:19:34 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: RE: New Guy or All about Joe

With the exception of the rear
overhang, they are acutally a much better off road vehicle than a Series and
do it a lot more smoothly.

  I don't know about that.  If your talking bone stock, I'll take the Series
for real off roading.  Unless of course someone wanted to follow where I
went in the woods, then I would take the RR.  Oh look, there's the air dam.
Here's the muffler.  He went this way, I see a running board from here!  Up
in Ottawa last weekend there was a stock Disco on a trail with a very
diverse group.  He was dragging parts on the trail, moving all the rocks and
tree limbs so he could make it through.  Right behind him was a stock, faded
red SIIa that made it look like he was on a run to get some milk.  Ho hum,
no big deal in my Series truck tra lala...  Don't even get me started with
the electrickery and those blasted dual carbs, well on my coiler anyway.
Dual carbs, that's some odd British stuff.
  Disco 0
  Series 1

  Start adding some off-road goodies well, the score might even.  Until you
get to those two tree's that you have to drive through that are 66.5" wide
;)

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 01 17:22:20 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

>the 200Tdi and 300Tdi land rover diesels are awesome machines.  200 ft lbs 
>at 1800 rpm from a 2.5 L inline 4 diesel.  many many companies in the uk 
>mae hotter parts for them as well, including stroker kits, bigger turbos, 
>and bigger intercoolers.  ive heard of 250hp 300lb ft 300 tdis.

That's nice.  But if I were going to a small diesel in a LR I would 
probably go with the SD33T then boost the turbo and intercooler.  The 
SD33T would just about fit into a '67 NADA 109 with very few 
modifications.  THen you have that bullet proff T-18 or T-19 that bolts 
up with off the shelf parts.  Build an adaptor to go to a series transfer 
case and pop in a rear Salisbury (Land ROver style Dana 60).  The SD33T 
has very similar power specs to the 300 tdi.  A difference is that the 
SD33T has a small turbo boost and no intercooler where as the baisc 300 
tdi has higher boost and an intercooler.

If I'm going to play with turbo boost and intercoolers I would rather 
start with a 3.3L six cylinder diesel built using BIG diesel type 
construction.  And a six cylinder is just a little bit smoother.

Besides putting a late Scout engine into a LR would help Joe feel more at 
home.

Also, Joe, if you want power steering in a left hand drive LR, the Scout 
II power steering box is the best option.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:28:50 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: strange looking French cars-way off topic

The French tried the US Market but flopped horribly.  Renault used to own 
jeep but their mix of cars, except for Jeep, just didn't fit our market.  
Peugeots, I still lust after a 505 Turbo, apparently failed because of an 
atrocious dealer network that was apparently met with outright hostility 
from the American Distributor and/or the Factory.  Citroen never really had 
a presence but used to see a number of them around Ann Arbor during the 
60's.

As a result, we have been spared some of the more exotic blue autos and 
expect we won't see the Renault that you speak of, so glowingly.

Aloha
Peter O.

>From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
>I was just reminded of this thread of a few weeks ago.
>  On UK TV - a motoring programme - tonight was the Renault Avantime which 
>I
>remember as a 'styling' exercise at the Motor Show a few years back.
>  You want weird? wait 'till this gets to the States lads...
>Best Cheers
>
>Frank

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:32:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Busch Gardens

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Frank Elson wrote:

:can someone explain Busch Gardens for an iggerant limey please?

Busch Gardens are an amusement park, with roller coasters and the like, plus
exotic animals.  Odd.  They're owned by the beer company, of course.
They've got a website at www.buschgardens.com

David

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:34:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: strange looking French cars-way off topic

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Frank Elson wrote:

:I was just reminded of this thread of a few weeks ago.
: On UK TV - a motoring programme - tonight was the Renault Avantime which I
:remember as a 'styling' exercise at the Motor Show a few years back.
: You want weird? wait 'till this gets to the States lads...

I think we're safe.  Renault pulled out of the US a number of years ago.  I
don't think anyone sells their stuff rebadged anymore, either.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:52:32 -0400
From: "Robert McCullough" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Busch Gardens

frank, anhauser busch, probably the largest beer maker in the u.s., are the
owners of busch gardens, which are amusement parks where they offer various
rides and entertainment. i live in virginia and about 45 minutes away in the
jamestown, yorktown, colonial williamsburg area they have one of their parks
complete with various roller coasters, which have names like the big bad
wolf, the lochness monster, etc. each little area is named after different
european countries and the rides and food, music, etc., fit their theme.
they also offer tours of their brewery. fun enough except for the crowds.no
land rovers at the one here though.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:02:32 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #421

- --part1_ba.15f77720.286d2da8_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Kudos to Christine Rose for a magnificent job at the 18th birthday party of 
Ottawa Valley Land Rovers. Thanks for all you did to make us feeel welcome 
Lillian and John

- --part1_ba.15f77720.286d2da8_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=2><B>Kudos to Christine Rose for a magnificent job at the 18th birthday party of 
<BR>Ottawa Valley Land Rovers. Thanks for all you did to make us feeel welcome 
<BR>Lillian and John
<BR>
<BR></B></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_ba.15f77720.286d2da8_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:14:47 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Re: Wiring

Gues I menat BX.
I have seen the plastic with the split and without, but not the spiral.
I have seen the continuous split stuff disentigrate after 5-10 years.  But
it was OEM, guess you can get a better quality after market product.
Pete

> Do you mean Romex, or BX?  Romex is plastic covering two insulated wires
> plus an uninsulated ground.  BX is flexible metal conduit.  There are
> plastic harness conduit stuff.  I've used three sorts, though none in
> cars.  One is like BX, just plastic, one is that, plus a continuous cut,
> so you can assemble a harness with having to undo things.  The third,
> which I like much better, is a spiral wrapped thing.  It allows you to
> add and remove wires at any point along the run, and you don't have to
> worry about it falling out like with continous split stuff.  Comes in
> neat colors, too.  I've seen all of these products in use in autos, so
they
> should be easy to find.
>
>
> --
> [email-masked]
> Bipedalism is only a fad.
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:25:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Re: Wiring

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

:Gues I menat BX.
:I have seen the plastic with the split and without, but not the spiral.
:I have seen the continuous split stuff disentigrate after 5-10 years.  But
:it was OEM, guess you can get a better quality after market product.

http://www.nexgenhose.com/nexwrap.htm

That's not the brand I've used, but it looks just like it.  As I've said,
I've never used it on a car, but it does a nifty job of making patch panels,
and underfloor cable runs neater.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:55:54 -0400
From: "Alex Maiolo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Painless Wiring (Re: Re: Ex MOD 110 question-re:wiring)

> I really get the impression that Painless Wiring is really geared for
people doing hot rod kits in the garage.  Since those vehicles often see
light duty at the weekends, it meets that need, but I would NOT recommend it
for daily driver or for extreme duty.<

Of course, the Painless leads are rated 60c higher for temperature than OME,
plus they are made out of nearly "crack proof" insulation materials - they
should last - and apparently the reason the wires are not that thick is
because they are really efficient at moving current..

I agree that they favor hot-rodders, but they make direct replacement kits
for Jeeps and Cruisers too. Extreme duty? Probably not, but people who are
that gung-ho should build custom whenever they can. Learn to weld; learn
electronics. Medium duty? That's what I'm shooting for, and I think I'll be
OK. Daily driver? Darn tootin'. The stuff in my kit was much nicer than the
wiring in any car I've ever owned, including my Rovers. If, on the odd
chance that this fails, it's so damn organized and well marked that I think
I'll be able to fix the bug fast.

A bad experience with a relay kit is one thing - yes, you would have been
better off asking the NAPA guys and doing it ad hoc - but a complete wiring
kit for a car that can be installed in about 5-6 hours is a fine thing. It
would have taken me days to do something half as good, and I'm already
pre-wired for *any* ancillaries I might add later.

You're the man, Perrone, and I value your opinion, but I'm not convinced
that the Painless kit is anything short of a great product. We'll see what
the future holds, though. I'll get back to you in 10 years.

Cheers,
Alex Maiolo
Chapel Hill NC

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:59:19 -0400
From: "Peter Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: tomb raider

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01C1001D.94D93900
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

G.Day All,=20
          Last week someone posted a few images of the Tomb Raider and =
somehow I seem to have lost them. Do you think it would be possible to =
have them re-posted thank you. Peter.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01C1001D.94D93900
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>G.Day All, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last =
week someone=20
posted a few images of the Tomb Raider and somehow I seem to have lost =
them. Do=20
you think it would be possible to have them re-posted&nbsp;thank you.=20
Peter.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01C1001D.94D93900--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:17:38 -0400
From: "Alex Maiolo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Wiring

> 2 questions:
>Do they come with any sort of protection for the wires or are you on your
own?

I bought my own, since it doesn't come with any. As Perone pointed out, they
are kind of "car" oriented, so the idea would be to route inside the vehicle
in such a case, and with a Rover, wires get full exposure to the elements
generally - even in the inside of most trucks since they all leak, right?

I used two types of protection:
For leads that I might need to access, or when a loom was in almost no
danger of rubbing, I used that ribbed hose stuff that has the split down
it's length. You can buy it at NAPA or at computer stores, and it makes a
tidy bundle - it's also good to cinch it tight with zip ties. I used it for
inside runs too, but you don't need to. I'm building the truck of my dreams
and I'm sparing no time or expense so I made that choice.
For long runs outside of the vehicle I used a really nice flexible conduit
that I bought at our local electric supply place. There are metal
through-connectors that can be routed through bulkheads or seat box holes,
and the conduit connects to it, making a water tight run.
e.g. - I ran from my seat box to my tail light area using the end connectors
and the conduit, running along the frame, and I've achieved three things:
- -My wiring is freakin' bulletproof
- -I can feed new wires through the conduit in the future
- -My wires are in absolutely no danger of elemental exposure, no matter what
I do or drive through, barring a forest fire or a sea of knives at frame
level.

>     Has anyone ever used them for re-wiring a Series Truck?
>

My 109/110 hybrid is basically a fancy-pants Series truck.
It has a V8 and a Defender dash, but my opinion is if you can wire a V8 and
it's guages, a Series truck will be a walk in the park. It's probably the
easiest to wire car on the planet, especially IIa and earlier. I did one
"custom" a few years back in a day and a half, and I think I could do a
Series truck in about 3-4 hours with a kit.
While you're at it, add a GM-style "one wire" alternator and start running
65 amps through that sucker. Best 60 bucks you'll send and you could light
up St. Louis with auxillary lights if you ever wanted to.
I just have a pair of Luckless driving lamps and my ammeter doesn't even
hiccup when I turn them on.

Alex Maiolo
Chapel Hill NC

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:14:33 -0400
From: "Perrone Ford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00C1_01C1001F.B5F05FE0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    I wouldn't DREAM of walking onto this list and telling you guys about
your series trucks, but I don't have ANY hesitation in telling you that as a
whole, it seems you guys are GROSSLY misinformed about what is available for
coil sprung trucks, and you really don't seem to have any idea of what they
can do when the playing field is made even.  By that, I mean putting the
same size tires on with similar tread.

    If you haven't driven a Range Rover or a Disco that had decent tires on
it, you can't possibly understand how competent they are.  The increase in
torque over the 2.25l allows them to idle over things that series truck
fight over.  As I said earlier both trucks have their place and their
advantages.  But please don't spread the misinformation that there are few
options in suspension for coilers. Shock mounts are widely available at
reasonable prices and long travel shocks are available from numerous
vendors.  Visit www.d-90.com for a TON of ideas on what is available, and
how they are used.

    As an example, I am running a 3" spring lift using RoverTym Springs
(best in the business), I am currently riding on OME MD shocks but will be
changing to Bilstein long travel shocks (I could have chosen OME, Bilstein,
Rancho, Fox, DeCarbon, Koni, or King).  Axles and propshafts can be made
damn near bulletproof.  Give a call to Great Basin Rovers.  They can take
you from mild to wild for the entire drivetrain.

    I've wheeled with stock series trucks, and built series trucks. There IS
a difference, but it is truly amazing what they can do stock...

- -Perrone

 There aren't many options for range rover coilsprung chassis bits. Old
Man Emu and a couple others make taller springs, but taller shock mounts
and longer travel shocks are not off the shelf items and there are
serious driveline issues involved in these modifications. The only

  I'f I do coils i'll go custom

    advantage is the disc brakes and stronger diffs on the axles, so maybe
    you would want to rework the axle case to take a leaf spring.

  hmm wonder if scout axles would fit....

    As to gearing, there are available low-low transfer cases that give rock
    crawling ratios for the Series transmissions.

  can you give me any names?

    All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and extreme
    Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very much.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00C1_01C1001F.B5F05FE0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4308.2900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I wouldn't DREAM of walking onto this list =
and telling=20
you guys about your series trucks, but I don't&nbsp;have ANY =
hesitation&nbsp;in=20
telling you that&nbsp;as a&nbsp;whole, it seems you guys are GROSSLY =
misinformed=20
about what&nbsp;is available for&nbsp;coil sprung trucks, and you really =
don't=20
seem to have any idea of what they can do when the playing field is made =

even.&nbsp; By that, I mean putting the same size tires on with similar=20
tread.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>If you haven't driven a Range Rover or a Disco =
that had=20
decent tires on it, you can't possibly understand how competent they =
are.&nbsp;=20
The increase in torque over the 2.25l allows them to idle over things =
that=20
series truck fight over.&nbsp; As I said earlier both trucks have their =
place=20
and their advantages.&nbsp; But please don't spread the misinformation =
that=20
there are few options in suspension for coilers. Shock mounts are widely =

available at reasonable prices and long travel shocks are available from =

numerous vendors.&nbsp; Visit <A =
href=3D"http://www.d-90.com">www.d-90.com</A>=20
for&nbsp;a TON of ideas on what is available, and how they are=20
used.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As an example, I am&nbsp;running a 3" =
spring=20
lift&nbsp;using RoverTym Springs (best in the business), I am currently =
riding=20
on OME MD shocks&nbsp;but will be changing to Bilstein long travel =
shocks (I=20
could have chosen OME, Bilstein, Rancho, Fox, DeCarbon, Koni, or =
King).&nbsp;=20
Axles and propshafts can be made damn near bulletproof.&nbsp; Give a =
call to=20
Great Basin Rovers.&nbsp; They can take you from mild to wild for the =
entire=20
drivetrain.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>I've wheeled with stock series trucks, and =
built series=20
trucks. There IS a difference, but it is truly amazing what they can do=20
stock...</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>-Perrone</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D800285301-29062001>&nbsp;</SPAN>There aren't many =
options for=20
range rover coilsprung chassis bits. Old<BR>Man Emu and a couple others =
make=20
taller springs, but taller shock mounts<BR>and longer travel shocks are =
not off=20
the shelf items and there are<BR>serious driveline issues involved in =
these=20
modifications. The only</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT=20
  face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT><BR><BR>I'f I do coils i'll go custom<BR><BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dcite cite type=3D"cite">advantage is the disc =
brakes and=20
    stronger diffs on the axles, so maybe<BR>you would want to rework =
the axle=20
    case to take a leaf spring.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>hmm wonder if scout =
axles would=20
  fit....<BR><BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dcite cite type=3D"cite">As to gearing, there are =
available=20
    low-low transfer cases that give rock<BR>crawling ratios for the =
Series=20
    transmissions.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>can you give me any =
names?<BR><BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dcite cite type=3D"cite">All in all, it isn't =
really=20
    necessary to build up a wild and extreme<BR>Series truck. They get =
by just=20
    fine as they are thank you very =
much.</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_00C1_01C1001F.B5F05FE0--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:43:43 -0400
From: Douglas Boothby <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: strange looking French cars-way off topic

If you want some weird French cars, I've got 5 Panhards sitting in a field in
Maine that you can have for the scrap price.
Doug Boothby

Peter Ogilvie wrote:

> The French tried the US Market but flopped horribly.  Renault used to own
> jeep but their mix of cars, except for Jeep, just didn't fit our market.
> Peugeots, I still lust after a 505 Turbo, apparently failed because of an
> atrocious dealer network that was apparently met with outright hostility
> from the American Distributor and/or the Factory.  Citroen never really had
> a presence but used to see a number of them around Ann Arbor during the
> 60's.
>
> As a result, we have been spared some of the more exotic blue autos and
> expect we won't see the Renault that you speak of, so glowingly.
>
> Aloha
> Peter O.
>
> >From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
> >I was just reminded of this thread of a few weeks ago.
> >  On UK TV - a motoring programme - tonight was the Renault Avantime which
> >I
> >remember as a 'styling' exercise at the Motor Show a few years back.
> >  You want weird? wait 'till this gets to the States lads...
> >Best Cheers
> >
> >Frank
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:07:21 -0400
From: "James G.Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: New Guy?

Hi guys.  I joined this list because i'm considering a series rover some 
>time in the next few years.
Why not now when they are cheap, after Ford finishes with the them a REAL
Landy will be very expensive. Better stck with the Sprout 8^).

>I'm a IH scout guy, and will always be.
Why bother us then, we aren't "Scout Guys and Gals (TeriAn)"? We are
Land-Rover Guys and Gals. Don't the Scout folks have their own list?
Jim Wolf

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:32:30 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

Not all series came with "little training wheels, some came stock with
7.5 x 16, which are about 32" tall. That is larger than the stock tires
of most all other 4wd's.

Joseph S Dufresne wrote:
> >All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and extreme
>>Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very much.

>well, except the little "training" wheels.

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:54:43 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: New Guy or All about Joe

But you can see them if you go to:
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/images/  but you have to know which pic
you want to look at.

Pete wrote:
>Like then site.  Really like the swing out tire/fuel/hilift rack on the 78.
>The links to you photos are to your local machine however. :-)
>Pete

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:20:35 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: 3 phase power

This came up on this list about a year ago, so some of you might be
interested.  A member of my metal working club has a line on new
Mitsubishi variable frequency drives.  They will make true 3 -phase power
from single phase and give speed control with out loss of torque.  They
are the most versatile and bullet proof VFD I have seen.  Prices is about
30 cents on the dollar.  I got a 3.7KW unit for about $275, also 2.7KW
and 1.5KW. 

The normal disclaimer, I have no connection with the  seller.

contact me off list if you are interested and I will get you in touch.

Chris hall

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:38:07 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy?

Mr. Jim Wolf,

Could you please change your attitude towards this list, it is not needed nor appreciated. Shrewd remarks are not the way to make a good impression upon "The New Guy", Joe.  Remember, first impressions are lasting.  If you wish to continue on with this type of irellevant, rude, and snobby behavior, go right on ahead but I will not be the only one automatically deleting your posts, I am sure.

Thank You,
Adam Check
1965 SIIA 88"
1988 Range Rover

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 2001 22:25:55 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy?

On Thu, 28 June 2001, [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> Mr. Jim Wolf,
> 
> Could you please change your attitude towards this list, it is not needed nor appreciated. Shrewd remarks are not the way to make a good impression upon "The New Guy", Joe.  Remember, first impressions are lasting.  If you wish to continue on with this type of irellevant, rude, and snobby behavior, go right on ahead but I will not be the only one automatically deleting your posts, I am sure.
> 
> Thank You,
> Adam Check
> 1965 SIIA 88"
> 1988 Range Rover

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:31:50 -0600
From: Joseph S Dufresne <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy?

- --=====================_8469354==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

At 11:07 AM 6/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi guys.  I joined this list because i'm considering a series rover some
> >time in the next few years.
>Why not now when they are cheap, after Ford finishes with the them a REAL
>Landy will be very expensive. Better stck with the Sprout 8^).

because right now i'm a student.  money is a major issue here.  the 
cheapest series I've found so far was $6000 and it was about ready for the 
junk yard

> >I'm a IH scout guy, and will always be.
>Why bother us then, we aren't "Scout Guys and Gals (TeriAn)"? We are
>Land-Rover Guys and Gals. Don't the Scout folks have their own list?
>Jim Wolf

of course we do.  doesn't mean I can't like other stuff too.  as someone 
else said, "on the other side of the pond rovers are like scouts.  buy 
cheap, build cheap, go anywhere"

guess what jim?  I'm a toyota guy too.  from about the time I was 5 on, 
someone in my extended family (mom and all her brothers families) has 
always has a toyota.  I think they're great cars.

Joe

Joe Dufresne, [email-masked]; ICQ# 25751950;
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/
"Don't shoot to kill, shoot to live!"
- --=====================_8469354==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<html>
At 11:07 AM 6/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite>Hi guys.&nbsp; I joined this list
because i'm considering a series rover some <br>
&gt;time in the next few years.<br>
Why not now when they are cheap, after Ford finishes with the them a
REAL<br>
Landy will be very expensive. Better stck with the Sprout 8^).<br>
</blockquote><br><br>
because right now i'm a student.&nbsp; money is a major issue here.&nbsp;
the cheapest series I've found so far was $6000 and it was about ready
for the junk yard<br><br>
<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite>&gt;I'm a IH scout guy, and will
always be.<br>
Why bother us then, we aren't &quot;Scout Guys and Gals (TeriAn)&quot;?
We are<br>
Land-Rover Guys and Gals. Don't the Scout folks have their own 
list?<br>
Jim Wolf</blockquote><br><br>
of course we do.&nbsp; doesn't mean I can't like other stuff too.&nbsp;
as someone else said, &quot;on the other side of the pond rovers are like
scouts.&nbsp; buy cheap, build cheap, go anywhere&quot;<br><br>
guess what jim?&nbsp; I'm a toyota guy too.&nbsp; from about the time I
was 5 on, someone in my extended family (mom and all her brothers
families) has always has a toyota.&nbsp; I think they're great cars. 
<br><br>
Joe<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Joe Dufresne, [email-masked]; ICQ# 25751950; <br>
<font color="#0000FF"><u><a href="http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/" eudora="autourl">http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/</a></u></font>
<br>
&quot;Don't shoot to kill, shoot to live!&quot;</html>

- --=====================_8469354==_.ALT--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:25:01 -0600
From: Joseph S Dufresne <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

- --=====================_8469172==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

out here, that is a training wheel.  37/38 is the norm for many i run with, 
i'll probably go 35's on a landy

Joe

At 09:32 PM 6/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Not all series came with "little training wheels, some came stock with
>7.5 x 16, which are about 32" tall. That is larger than the stock tires
>of most all other 4wd's.
>
>Joseph S Dufresne wrote:
> > >All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and extreme
> >>Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very much.
>
>
> >well, except the little "training" wheels.
>
>
>--
>Jim Hall
>1966 88" Elephant Chaser
>http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
>"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling
>with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

Joe Dufresne, [email-masked]; ICQ# 25751950; 
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/
78 SSII; Smoking Scouts, Rocky Mtn chapter  Recruitment officer for Smoking 
Scouts.

"It's a farm implement thing, you wouldn't understand"

- --=====================_8469172==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<html>
out here, that is a training wheel.&nbsp; 37/38 is the norm for many i
run with, i'll probably go 35's on a landy<br><br>
Joe<br><br>
<br>
At 09:32 PM 6/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite>Not all series came with
&quot;little training wheels, some came stock with<br>
7.5 x 16, which are about 32&quot; tall. That is larger than the stock
tires<br>
of most all other 4wd's.<br><br>
Joseph S Dufresne wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and
extreme<br>
&gt;&gt;Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very
much.<br><br>
<br>
&gt;well, except the little &quot;training&quot; wheels.<br><br>
<br>
- -- <br>
Jim Hall<br>
1966 88&quot; Elephant Chaser<br>
<a href="http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo" eudora="autourl">http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo</a><br>
&quot;You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling
<br>
with Jim.&quot; Mitch Stockdale</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Joe Dufresne, [email-masked]; ICQ# 25751950;
<a href="http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/" eudora="autourl"><font color="#0000FF"><u>http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/</a></u></font>
<br>
78 SSII; Smoking Scouts, Rocky Mtn chapter&nbsp; Recruitment officer for Smoking Scouts. <br><br>
&quot;It's a farm implement thing, you wouldn't understand&quot;<br><br>
<br>
</html>

- --=====================_8469172==_.ALT--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:11:46 -0700
From: aaron <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #422

- --============_-1218327361==_ma============
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"

If you are interested in a combination of GPS, Photography, Scotland, 
and a Land Rover check out this site. It's kind of crazy the amount 
of work this person did on their vacation.

<http://www.remote.org/frederik/roadhog/scotland/>http://www.remote.org/frederik/roadhog/scotland/

Aaron
69 88 in a thousand pieces
- --============_-1218327361==_ma============
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!--
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { margin-top: 0 ; margin-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1
#422</title></head><body>
<div>If you are interested in a combination of GPS, Photography,
Scotland, and a Land Rover check out this site. It's kind of crazy the
amount of work this person did on their vacation.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div><a
href="http://www.remote.org/frederik/roadhog/scotland/"
>http://www.remote.org/frederik/roadhog/scotland/</a></div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Aaron</div>
<div>69 88 in a thousand pieces</div>
</body>
</html>
- --============_-1218327361==_ma============--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 01 23:10:56 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

>    I wouldn't DREAM of walking onto this list and telling you guys about
>your series trucks, but I don't have ANY hesitation in telling you that as a
>whole, it seems you guys are GROSSLY misinformed about what is available for
>coil sprung trucks, and you really don't seem to have any idea of what they
>can do when the playing field is made even.  By that, I mean putting the
>same size tires on with similar tread.

SO?  Are you SUPRISED?  Even shoocked that people on a SERIES LAND ROVER 
list do not know much about coiler rigs?  Golly!  

People who care a whole lot about coilers are usually on the coiler lists.

> If you haven't driven a Range Rover or a Disco that had decent 
>tires on it, you can't possibly understand how competent they are

So what has that to do with leaf spring Land Rovers?

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW - 
[email-masked]           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net      <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net          <- Web directory for Land Rover 
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   <- My personal web site

"In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy  
traveler.  Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:17:45 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Tried sending a list of Galvanizers in North America, , didn't go through

- --part1_114.f7d7dd.286d7789_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I tried sending a pdf. list of most of the galvanizers in the US, Canada, and 
Mexico but it hasn't gone through. (sent around two hours ago)
Can you send attachments to the groups?
scott just 
rochester, mi

- --part1_114.f7d7dd.286d7789_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I tried sending a pdf. list of most of the galvanizers in the US, Canada, and 
<BR>Mexico but it hasn't gone through. (sent around two hours ago)
<BR>Can you send attachments to the groups?
<BR>scott just 
<BR>rochester, mi</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_114.f7d7dd.286d7789_boundary--

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #423
**********************************************