Re: LRO: Spares for a long trip

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 22:07:04 EDT

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Keith Tanner wrote:

    :I'm going to be driving Basil from Ottawa to Colorado at some point this
    :summer - I'm moving out to the land of hot and rocks (instead of bugs and
    :mud). So I'll be doing 2000 miles of interstate driving with a chase car (a
    :Miata - all it'll need will be gas)
    :
    :What spares should I bring along for the trip? Any suggestions for
    :preparation?
    :
    :Basil's details:
    :1967 IIa 88" petrol
    :new alternator, new brake system, new clutch hydraulics and clutch
    :spin-on oil filter, new fuel filter, Solex with a sticky float that will be
    :fixed :)

    ear protection
    a toolkit. (a good one)
    an axle set of brake shoes
    a hub seal kit
    axle shafts
    rebuild kits for all the hydraulic bits (or spares)
    fuel pump or rebuild kit
    engine oil (enough for change, more if you leak) +filter
    gear lube
    If you've got an overdrive, the bits you need if it breaks.
    random electrical bits - wire, terminals, crimp tool, mult meter
    Ignition bits -- plugs, wires, points, condensor,cap
    cell phone
    AAA membership card
    luck
    Water pump
    Any other spares you've got that will fit (I'm led to believe a cylider head
    and gasket set is handy.)

    That's pretty much my spares kit. It generally seems to be enough, except
    when I'm not carrying the head or overdrive bits.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.