LRO: Smooth 6

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 19:45:45 EDT

    Sandy writes That may very well be...the Rover P-5 engine (the 3.0 litre
    six) used to be
    advertised as so smooth running that a 10 shilling piece (I think that
    was
    the coin....)

    Sorry Sandy, in the days when they made the ROVER 3 litre, ten bob was a
    note. The coin frequently used in those gimmicky trials was a 3 penny
    piece which had ten or twelve sides so it stood up easily.

     ISTR from several decades ago when I went to school that the six is
    smooth because the vibration forces from the crank roatationt are
    naturally in closed balance.

    Regards from Western New York State

      Bill Leacock.