Re: LRO: War Over Galvanizing Strange New French Guy

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 18:15:43 EDT

    >(chosen because aluminum was cheaper in post war europe than steel).

    Overall I am most impressed, even if your essay does prove my point.

    However, the above statement is not true. Aluminum was more
    expensive, but because of a surplus of this material that was no
    longer needed to manufacture warplanes, it was readily available.
    Steel was being rationed and companies exporting products got the
    allotments--Britian needed cash. Rover had little to no export
    markets at the time, and thus needed to use steel sparingly. It's
    also why the box chassis was used--labor intensive, but it used less
    steel then other options.

    My source: Land Rover: The Unbeatable 4x4, Third Edition, by K&J
    Slavin and G. N. Mackie (the latter of head of Land-Rover Special
    Projects.)

    As I said, otherwise a concise and excellent introduction to the
    Marque--perhaps worthy of being archived in the FAQ. Dixon?

    And now that you're done why don't you pack your binoculars,
    sunscreen and a good book into your backpack so you can get an early
    start in the morning. A camera wouldn't hurt either. We expect a
    full, accurate, and equally well researched report regarding "The
    Girls On the Beach" tomorrow.

    rgds!

    jeff

    --
    ==
      Jeffrey A. Berg   Purple Shark Media         Rowayton, CT