LRO: Driving Land Rovers

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 15:17:28 EDT

    I have 6 Land Rovers coming into Port Heuneme near Santa Barbara on the
    9th of July. I can collect them on the 12th. It is a thursday. I have
    enough drivers, but two of them might drop out at short notice. Is
    anyone available to step in and drive one at short notice? The plan is
    as follows. We would leave Placerville in Northern California on July
    12th in a small plane or two and fly to Oxnard Airport. Oxnard is two
    hours flight and is 1 mile from the port. I would hope to arrive at
    about 9,00am. The port is open at 8,00am. There will be an hour of
    paperwork and me paying huge amounts of shipping money and we can leave.
    It is 450 miles back here, which is 8 or 9 hours at 50 mph. The 56
    Series I will be the slowest and we would all have to stick together so
    it will be a slow hot run up California. It will take all day. I will
    of course be filling them all with gas and the drivers with food and
    soda. If anyone is available as a stand in if plan "A" fails, I would be
    very grateful. I do not want to have to do it in two runs. They are
    all very good condition, clean straght machines, so I do not envisage
    any breakdowns. It will look like the UN has landed!! We can run up
    some Union Jacks and drink a lot of tea and frighten the locals!
    Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Mark Pilkington