Re: LRO: off topic - fishing

From: G. Mugele (MewGull@vom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 15:01:31 EDT

    >anyone in British Columbia want to volunteer to give a friend info on the
    >trout fishing out there? mail me direct.

    Hi Frank,

    Not a fisherman myself and am only married to a BC native but from my
    Land Rover travels in the province, it seems to me you'd have to be
    pretty creative in order to avoid good places to fish for trout. The
    man you should contact is Clinton Coates; he's a native, seriously
    Land Rover afflicted, spends a good deal of his time wandering about
    remote parts of BC digging up stuff, and he's a terrific guy. I
    don't know if he fishes, but that malady seems to ravage the
    population pretty thoroughly. He'll probably know what you want to
    know.

    Guess what Frank, you won't be reduced to consuming the output of
    Busch Gardens or any of that other Budweiser-like pseudo beer while
    in BC. They have a nice assortment of good stuff that is nearly as
    good as the mass-produced brews in the UK. Better than that however,
    if you're at the southern edge, within a few hundred miles of the US,
    you will probably be able to find some pretty terrific beers from
    micro-breweries. They're not on par with your 'Real Ales' but
    they're pretty nice, I'd say nearly equal to stuff from someplace
    like Adnams in Southwold.

    BTW BC is a really huge place, it's hard to appreciate until you've driven it.

    I'm copying Clinton on this email but here's his address: CCoates@golder.com

    When are you going?

    Remember your mosquito repellant. The BC air force makes the gnats
    and midges in the Scottish Highlands seem like butterflies caressing
    your extremities. July seems to be their peak season. After all, the
    trout have to eat something.

    Gerry Mugele
    *** "It's not on any map - true places never are." -- Mark Twain