LRO: GPS help

From: Rodrigo Bejarano (RBK@ceibo.entelnet.bo)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 12:27:00 EDT

    I am considering the purchase of a GPS unit.

    Regrettably the basic maps (of South America, more precisely Bolivia) that
    come with Garmin and other popular units are outdated and innacurate. (not
    to mention they do not have any secondary routes, neither dirt tracks)

    Is there any way I can input more accurate (and detailed) road information
    into any unit?

    I want to "produce" a detailed road map we can transfer to all the units
    within our off road club members (to be used as the standard base map), off
    course we are more interested in being able to view the old abbandoned dirt
    tracks than main roads.

    What is the best (and affordable) GPS unit for this purpose and what
    additional equipment (and software) is requiered for this purpose?

    Rodrigo

    1992 White V8 3.5 110 County (Consider as a series IV)
    La Paz
    Bolivia