Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #419

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:22:17 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Wednesday, June 27 2001 Volume 01 : Number 419

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:29:51 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Half Shafts

In a message dated 6/7/01 12:16:49 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<< You then end up trashing your drive flanges which have no elastic limits
at all. The side/half shafts can at least twist a little to absorb
torque. In fact the ideal would be to have them be able to twist even
more (without testing their elastic limits).
 
Regards

Paul Oxley >>

Paul
    The biggest problem with Land Rover 10 spline drive flanges is all the 
backlash. Even with a brand new drive flange and axle there is 5 to 10 thou 
of it. This causes accelerated wear, which increases the backlash even more. 
The backlash spikes the shock loads going to the axles. The last thing stock 
Rover axles need is another thing going against them. 
    The elasticity in the drivetrain should not be supplied by the drive 
flanges as evidenced by the experience of Series Salisbury drive flanges. 
They are very soft from a metallurgical standpoint (approximately 40 to 45 on 
a Rockwell C scale) and tend to strip out with extended usage. This is why we 
supply our remanufactured Salisbury axles assemblies with specialy hardened 
drive flanges (RC 62 the same as coiler Salisburys)
    The elasticity in the system should be supplied by the axle shafts. To do 
this effectively they need to be constructed of a suitable material and be of 
a proper design. This is the problem with stock Land Rover axles, the 
material is marginal at best. It flexes but also yields at a very low point. 
This means it doesn't return to its original shape or position. This is the 
definition of metal fatique. The other problem is the design. Idealy you want 
a fully waisted design so the flex is distributed along the entire shaft so 
that it acts like a torsion bar. A waisted design means that the smallest 
diameter of the axle is the shaft, not the minor spline diameter (smallest 
part of the spline). Rover 10 spline rear axles have a minor spline diameter 
of .985" and a shaft diameter of 1.05 inches. What this means is that the 
elasticity of the shaft is concentrated on one part of the spline i.e. where 
the shaft exits the side gear of the diff. This concentrates the elasicity in 
this one spot instead of distributing it along the entire shaft. Not 
surprisingly 99% + of all Series Rover 10 spline rear axle breakages occur in 
this spot. In conclusion, the reality of the situation is that stock Land 
Rover rear axle shafts are crap and not up to the robust standard as is most 
of the rest of the vehicle. 
    I'm sure this note will start all of the usual hand wringing that Land 
Rover did this on purpose to build a shear point into the drive train. If 
this were true, why didn't they put the shear point on the flange end so it 
would actually be easy to change your broken rear axle instead of the most 
difficult spot? Maybe it was to punish you for exceeding the theoretical load 
capacity of the drivetrain! (Take that you bad bad Land Rover owner!!) I am 
sure it will also generate comments from folks (we know who they are) that 
proudly point out that they are the original owners of various vintages of 
LR's and they have never broken an axle! 
    Anyway, strong drive flanges don't break axle shafts, strong axle shafts 
don't break differentials (actually a strong and flexible axle shaft will 
reduce driveline shock loads), strong diffs don't break driveshafts etc. If 
you don't enjoy doing any of the following:
1) doing field repairs
2) carrying spare axles and all of the related parts
3) considering axle shafts a service item (belts, fluids, filters, hoses, 
axle shafts!)
consider getting better ones.

Bill
Great Basin Rovers

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:06:06 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Land Rover video

I liked the video, and look forward to more. Also like the Rush. Haven't
heard it in a while even though I have some, probably because its on 
vinyl and I'm too lazy to take all the crap off the top of the
turntable. Do you have some coffee? Used the last of mine today. E-mail
me with price if you do.

Hope Peter wrote:
> 
> http://www.aloharovers.com/eravi1.mpg
> 
> I have been fooling arounf with premier building some web video from some of
> our trips here in Hawaii.
> This particular video is only 30 seconds long, but is still 4 megs. 
- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:29:09 -0400
From: "Sergi, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Molson LR commercial

>From the POR website;

POR-15® was applied over a rusty substrate as a finish coat (approximately
23 mils dry film thickness). The coating showed essentially no undercutting
at the scribed area after 2000 hours in a weatherometer*. 

A 2 mil thickness of POR-15® was applied to lightly rusted steel and then
exposed for 1000 hours to a salt spray. At the end of the test period, no
undercutting was observed at the scribed area. 

Michael Sergi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:11:13 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: another commercial

Last night I saw a commercial for some tire goop used to temporarily repair
flat tires.  The setting was African safari like and the rover(s) were late
IIa or III 88s.  As it always happens I get halfway through the commercial
before I realize there is some LR content - that's what I get for not paying
attention to the stupid tv.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:07:49 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Land Rover video

> Slow the frame rate down to about 12fps.  At 12fps it's still a fluid
> presentation.  Right now yours is at 30fps.  At 12fps you will need less
> than half the data you have now, i.e. <2mb.
>
> Also, fool around with a couple of different codecs.  I use Sorenson but
> Cinepac works well with pc's too.
>

I think cinepac was built into Premeir.  Not sure which codec I actually
used.
Thanks for the tips.
Does format matter (ram, avi, mpg,mov)
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:11:29 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Land Rover video

> turntable. Do you have some coffee? Used the last of mine today. E-mail
> me with price if you do.
>
>

I am glad everyone liked the sound track :-)

As to coffee I am to my last pound.  Peter O is the one you need to contact,
he should have some more later this summer.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:45:00 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: another commercial

Hmmm. wonder if those tires were running with tubes. That snot always
makes a total mess when changing tires!
- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:42:08 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Land Rover video

Peter, at full bandwidth (NTSC Digital video) that :30:00 clip is about
1.1 gigabytes. Ain't no way you're going to get it too small without it
looking like hamburger, which it does now anyway. Best I could do just
now on Premiere 5.1 was about 1.3mb for a 30 second spot.
I used the following settings:
Go to export Movie, give it a name and destination and click on
settings.
Under General settings set your output to Microsoft AVI
Under Video settings (open the spinner on the right to access this) set
your compression to RLE or Run Length Encoding. Setting the compression
to NONE will yield a lot better looking clip, but wih a cost in file
size.
Set the window size to 240x180. Set the Quality spinner to 85%.
Under Audio settings set it for 22K. Leave the other settings alone.
hit OK and then Save.
You can fool around with quality percentage to see if it gets better or
worse and how much that costs in file size.
BTW, check the gamma settings as it looked really dark and muddy. The
Video, not the trucks.
- -- 
Bill Adams
Motion Graphics/3D Design Director
IBB Broadcast Design Center, Washington DC
[email-masked]
202-205-9638

1966 Land Rover 2A 109SW Diesel
1981 Honda GoldWing Standard
1963 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:35:11 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: ...ping........

....ping..............ping..............

So not only do I  miss the birthday party but the list basically shuts down 
while everyone else is bussy having a good time. Great.

Just came in from working on the Red Zit. It's raining off and on though so 
I've given up.

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:08:10 -0500
From: car4doc <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

what has happen to the list....anyone there???
Rob Davis_Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:49:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: john hess <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Light Weight Land Rover and Defender

> 110.  And you can only work on one vehicle at a time, so we get the Defender
> first"
> Am I just the luckiest guy on earth or what?
> Pete
> 
> 
maybe, if you find one for $20K.  Or if you find 2 at $20K each,
promise you'll email me first.

cheers,

john hess, Davis, California        [email-masked]
Dormie web pages at 
http://dcn.davis.ca.us/~jfhess/startpoint.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 04:42:00 -0400
From: Gowyn Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Land Rover video

> Does format matter (ram, avi, mpg,mov)

Yes and no, but mostly no.  I use macs and prefer mov, sometimes mpg.  It's
a compatibility issue really.  Most codecs are written for separate formats,
but most players ie Quicktime, Mediaplayer etc will play most if not all
codecs.

Just play around with the settings, have some fun with it.  You just need to
think that each frame is length times height times 8 bytes.  Multiply that
by the number of fps and wow, you see hoe files get so huge.

Have fun.

Gowyn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:48:13 -0400
From: Bill Caloccia <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: forward: seeking model of 88"

please  CC: your response to [email-masked]  (not me)

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:05:13 -0700
>From: Mark Pilkington <[email-masked]>
Subject: Land Rover Model

Please would you let me know where I can find a 1/25 or 1/18 scale metal
Landrover Series I, II, or III Short Wheel Base with hard top or
canvas.  All the ones I have seen are 109's.  Thanks for any help you
can offer.
Kind regards,
Mark Pilkington

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:53:03 -0400
From: Gowyn Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Is this working

Haven't seen any mail lately, is the list still up?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:01:47 -0700
From: "Rich & Lori Williams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: instrument panel

I started out thinking about adding a tach to the instrument panel.  Then I
got to thinking that the main center panel and the two addition panels to
the left of the h20/oil gauge and turn indicator switch might look better on
one single panel so I am in the process of experimenting with a custom
setup.

So while I'm at it, does anyone have any good suggestions of something else
to add.  I don't want to make this look like the panel on a F-117 but I was
thinking about also adding a vacuum gauge and an hour clock.

Thanks,

Rich
'60 SII 109 SW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:01:30 -0400
From: Major Domo <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: *LRO lists are back....

It seems that while I was travelling to the OVLR Birthday Party last
Friday, the folks where I used to work (two jobs ago) started their 
Exodus from their second cage at the co-lo facility were Works.Team.Net
has been mooching power ping and pipe for the last 18 months. The first
thing they snarfed was the switch, so the Major did the in-communicado
thing.

I picked up the box today, modified the DNS for it, and it is now hanging
off my DSL line at home, at least until I get things moved over to the 
the new SunBlade 100, which has been burned in now and is sitting in a
cage somewhere else.

Cheers,
	-Bill		[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:36:56 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO:  Light Weight Land Rover and Defender

Aloha,
there is a LW on ebay now.  nice looking.  Second time I have seen it
listed, seller has a reserve of 8k.  Last time high bid was less then 2k.
It's up to 3k this time around.
Anyway was talking to a friend who is just back from OZ with a set of
parabolics.  Mentioned the LW and how much I want one.
After hanging up, SWMBO asked me what a LW was, so I showed her the
pictures.
"Oh no, I don't like that.  We agreed the next vehicle would be a Defender
110.  And you can only work on one vehicle at a time, so we get the Defender
first"
Am I just the luckiest guy on earth or what?
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:15:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Million dollar house fire blamed on Land-Rover

A fire that destroyed a 7000 sq ft house in Morrisville, NC is being blamed
on a Range Rover Classic.  I've misplaced my N&O, so  Ican't provide any
more details.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:46:17 -0500
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: IIa Exhaust question

Is the 109 diesel Pickup exhaust system identical to the petrol version?

Andy Litkowiak

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 01 23:25:12 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: instrument panel

>So while I'm at it, does anyone have any good suggestions of something else
>to add.  I don't want to make this look like the panel on a F-117 but I was
>thinking about also adding a vacuum gauge and an hour clock.
>

I always liked having a volt meter.  It tells you things an amp meter 
will not.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:36:14 -0400
From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Is the list working?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C0FD84.2FFC7B00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey - anyone receiving this - would you mail me a quick note directly to
[email-masked] - I haven't been receiving any email from either lro or
rro for two days...   I just wanted to see if it is my settings.

Lee

- ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C0FD84.2FFC7B00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D072283418-25062001><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Hey -=20
anyone receiving this - would you mail me a quick note directly to <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> - I haven't =
been=20
receiving any email from either lro or rro for two days...&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
just=20
wanted to see if it is my settings.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Lee<BR></FONT></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT=20
size=3D3>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C0FD84.2FFC7B00--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:28:34 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: RR's and getting ready  II

maybe I've missed something here but why are you running your car with a
leaking radiator?

  Didn't know.  They were small leaks anyway.
   Turns out I couldn't take my RR up to Canada.  All packed up, half way to
Courtney's house and she starts running on 4 cylinders.  To make a long
story short, I tried this and that to no avail.  We went in Courtney's '89
RR.  Still had a great time riding in other folks Rovers, met new people,
got bit by mosquitoes, drank beer, got muddy, had a ton of fun!
  Just tonight I got Lucy running like new.  It was either the fuel pump or
the clogged filter on the pickup tube in the tank.  Pulled the tank tonight,
pitched the filter away and put other filters elsewhere.  New pump too.  I'm
ready for Canada now!  It's never over in a Rover...

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:06:44 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Queit on the list ?

- --part1_113.cd205e.28698074_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thing seem kinda quiet

Dave Walls

- --part1_113.cd205e.28698074_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Thing seem kinda quiet
<BR>
<BR>Dave Walls</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_113.cd205e.28698074_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:12:19 -0400
From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Generator

Has anyone out there installed a "one wire" 24V generator on an ex-mil
landie?  I am having problems with my generator and would like to install
something more modern than the two piece LR stuff.

Lee

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:40:50 -0400
From: Nick Danger <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: GPS and Speed

I got my GPS today. A Garmin eTrex Legend and I LOVE It. It works great, got 
the dash mount and its perfect for viewing instead of my speedo (that always 
reads 0mph anyway)

So, on my ride home I had a quick (1 exit) stint on the highway and I got 
59.9 mph it read as max (averaged about 58 on the highway) This is a 72 
Series III with a Superwich overdrive. It wasnt floored but I dont suspect I 
had much more to go. This sound about right to everyone? Not worried, Im 
satisified but Im curious if this seems about right!

- -Nick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:55:13 -0500
From: "Jablonski, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Test...  haven't received anything in 3days

Just a test...  I haven't received anything in 3days!  

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:23:55 -0400
From: Nick Danger <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover video

On Saturday 23 June 2001 01:07, you wrote:

> > Also, fool around with a couple of different codecs.  I use Sorenson but
> > Cinepac works well with pc's too.

No No! Sorenson bad! Opensource good!  I use Linux and there isnt a sorenson 
decoder out there yet. I can watch Quicktime but not if using the sorenson 
encoding. So please, use anything but!

- -Nick
(the penguin loving Rover owner)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:23:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: alternative part numbers and Koenig winc

Has anyone with a SIII 2.25 petrol found a parts store alternative for   
the three radiator hoses required for a SIII?  The PO of my 109 used the   
wrong hoses, and one has a slight kink in it due to a too tight bend, and   
so I am going to replace them.  I'd rather run to napa or Schuck's than   
order the hoses.  Please mail me directly if you can help.

I've just finished rebuilding a koenig crank drive winch and have some   
spares and would be happy to share information with anyone needing it.
simon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:44:40 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Ex MOD 110 manual question

I am asking this on the greasy-finger list instead of the coil list because
I think I might get a better response.

I am the new proud owner of an ex MOD 110 2.5D rolling chassis, and am now
trying to hunt down the correct manual for it.  Basically, the end product
is intended to be a Series 2 on the outside, 110 2.5 on the inside, with the
electrickery being done by myself and a local electrical guru I know.  There
are a slew of manuals about put out by Brooklands, including a 350 page
owners edition, an 83-93 manual (850 pages) and a 93-onwards manual (even
more pages).  I am trying to find the manual that will give me the
tech/rebuild/maintenance data on the 2.5D engine, LT77 tranny and R230 T
case, plus the frame, disc front and drum rear brakes.  I don't know if
there are any changes in the chassis/brakes between the military models and
the commercial models, or whether there are changes in the pre/post 93 hump.
If not, I am tempted to go with the later one as it also has info on the 200
TDi...

I should probably put this to the GB LR list, but thought I would try here
first.  Sayyy, isn't there some kind of military LR club somewhere?

Clinton

PS, Marin, please feel free to say "I told you so" at any point in this or
any future questions I have on this subject  ;^)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:37:03 -0600
From: "The Stockdales" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Any LRO's in the Columbus Ohio Area

Hey, if any of you are in the Columbus Ohio area please contact me off-list.
I need someone to go look at a Norton Commando for me.

Thanks

Mitch

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:13:04 -0400
From: "Brad Crittenden" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: GPS and Speed

The speed calculations for a GPS should be pretty accurate.  Even when SA,
the introduction of intentional error for civilian units, was turned on, the
speed calculations were quite accurate since the perturbations were constant
over a small sample time.  The speedometer in my Range Rover consistently
reads low, as verified by those hand radar units the DOT puts up
occasionally, and the GPS speed readings were a consistently higher than my
speedometer -- as I would expect.

The speedometer in my beater car went out a few months ago and had to be
replaced to the tune of about $300.  I wish I'd been thinking and just
bought a GPS to leave in it!

- --Brad

- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Nick Danger
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 10:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: GPS and Speed

I got my GPS today. A Garmin eTrex Legend and I LOVE It. It works great, got
the dash mount and its perfect for viewing instead of my speedo (that always
reads 0mph anyway)

So, on my ride home I had a quick (1 exit) stint on the highway and I got
59.9 mph it read as max (averaged about 58 on the highway) This is a 72
Series III with a Superwich overdrive. It wasnt floored but I dont suspect I
had much more to go. This sound about right to everyone? Not worried, Im
satisified but Im curious if this seems about right!

- -Nick

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:00:00 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: GPS and Speed

Yes, the speed on a GPS is very accurate.

Nick Danger wrote:
> 
> I got my GPS today. A Garmin eTrex Legend and I LOVE It. It works great, got
> the dash mount and its perfect for viewing instead of my speedo (that always
> reads 0mph anyway)
> 
> So, on my ride home I had a quick (1 exit) stint on the highway and I got
> 59.9 mph it read as max (averaged about 58 on the highway) This is a 72
> Series III with a Superwich overdrive. It wasnt floored but I dont suspect I
> had much more to go. This sound about right to everyone? Not worried, Im
> satisified but Im curious if this seems about right!
> 
> -Nick

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:00:01 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Some photos from the BP

Okay, there aren't all that many scanned yet. But I have a few photos from 
the OVLR Birthday Party online for those who didn't make it (and those who 
did). http://keith.miata.net/landy

It was good seeing everyone. Especially Alan, who appeared out of the dark 
just when I needed help with a Land Rover leaking gas - and then fixed my 
truck by tapping it twice with a flashlight. A great trick.

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:56:46 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: cleaning sensors

As usual, Alan was right. I replaced my oil light sender today (for the 
cost of $7 US from RN) and now it behaves properly. Good thing, too - all 
through the BP my oil light was doubling as an ignition light...

Keith

>Any suggestions for the best way to clean an oil pressure sender (for the
>light) without destroying anything? Solvents of choice?
>
>I wouldn't - replace it. If it's flunky it will either:
>
>a) fail on
>b) worse, fail off
>c) much worse - fail and blow oil all over Hell.
>
>Sensors are cheap and vital to the car's health...and from the sound of
>this one I don't think cleaning is going to do it any good - sounds like
>the diaphragm is failing.
>
>                     ajr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:23:17 -0400
From: "Alex Maiolo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Ex MOD 110 question-re:wiring

On the subject of wiring this beast:

Call Summit Racing in Ohio and get a kit from Painless Wiring. It's about
about $250 for a generic kit, $280 if you want 4 extra cicuits.
It includes a blade-style fuse panel, and wiring looms that accept more
things than even the nicest 110 requires - which means plenty of extra space
for lights, CB, vibrating mattress, coffee maker...

Down the entire length of any given wire, it will say what it goes to.
e.g. - "left rear brake lamp" will be written about every 6 inches, so
regardless of what length the wire is cut, you'll know where it goes.
One main wire hooks to the battery, and the rest route where you need them
to go. It comes with zip ties, butt-end connectors, rubber grommets and
extra wire (which you won't need). The recommended fuses, and flasher, and
one relay are already in the panel.

You can't buy all of this stuff separately for $250, probably, and it will
make wiring your truck a single afternoon project.

This is one of the most thought out, "delivered as promised", and
appropriately named products I've ever used. Worth every penny. If you call
Summit today, you'll have it for the weekend.

If you're foolish enough to not go this route, I have a "grab bag" of
90/110 wiring harnesses that I'll sell you for $40, incl. shipping anywhere
in the 48 states.
But get the Painless Kit - seriously.

Best of luck,
Alex Maiolo
Chapel Hill NC

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 5:44 PM
Subject: LRO: Ex MOD 110 manual question

> I am asking this on the greasy-finger list instead of the coil list
because
> I think I might get a better response.
>
> I am the new proud owner of an ex MOD 110 2.5D rolling chassis, and am now
> trying to hunt down the correct manual for it.  Basically, the end product
> is intended to be a Series 2 on the outside, 110 2.5 on the inside, with
the
> electrickery being done by myself and a local electrical guru I know.
There
> are a slew of manuals about put out by Brooklands, including a 350 page
> owners edition, an 83-93 manual (850 pages) and a 93-onwards manual (even
> more pages).  I am trying to find the manual that will give me the
> tech/rebuild/maintenance data on the 2.5D engine, LT77 tranny and R230 T
> case, plus the frame, disc front and drum rear brakes.  I don't know if
> there are any changes in the chassis/brakes between the military models
and
> the commercial models, or whether there are changes in the pre/post 93
hump.
> If not, I am tempted to go with the later one as it also has info on the
200
> TDi...
>
> I should probably put this to the GB LR list, but thought I would try here
> first.  Sayyy, isn't there some kind of military LR club somewhere?
>
> Clinton
>
> PS, Marin, please feel free to say "I told you so" at any point in this or
> any future questions I have on this subject  ;^)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:20:15 -0400
From: "Martin Rothman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Test

Sorry for the bother, but I seem to not be getting anything from LRO.  This 
is a test to see if it is working.

Thx.

Martin

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:25:50 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: *LRO lists are back....

I'm sorry, Bill. There wasn't enough IT-Techie talk in that post because
I think I almost understood the message.
Maybe you should have posted a cowboy version:

	Last weekend, with the moon in the sky with it's corners poked up like
a Texas Longhorn, me and the boys were at the big Roundup up north.
That's when the rustlers moved in on the ranch back home and made off
with the prize brahma bull and all the cattle! Imagine cumin' home to
find that we'd been durn near cleaned out. I wuz as mad as a rattlesnake
in a gunny sack. I knowed right off who done it, it was that no good
Black Bart that I used to work for. He never got over me takin' off with
his girl and his best filly.
	Well let me tell you, I showed him. I rode right over to Bart's ranch
and by the light of the longhorn moon, I fetched back all my stock and
then some and hightailed it back for the ranch with Bart bein' none the
wiser! I'll bet he's as bristly as a horny-toad by now.
	Now alll the herd is in a brand new corral that's got enough fence
'round it that 'ol Bart'll have to learn himself to ride a durn kangaroo
if'n he's gonna jump over it!

- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:07:55 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Some photos from the BP

Especially Alan, who appeared out of the dark
just when I needed help with a Land Rover leaking gas - and then fixed my
truck by tapping it twice with a flashlight. A great trick.

Keith

Can you say stuck carburettor float? Knew you could....8*)

Seriously, Keith - you're likely going to want to have a look at the float
and its pivots. From the behavior (and the fact that a good whack fixed it)
the pivots are likely worn oval and/or the float mount pin is worn. Both
can be easily remedied...

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:27:09 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: More opinions sought

I had all the steel bits hot dip galvanized for @ $250...
Advantages: no prep, no paint, no work and no worry...well no worry for only
30 years or so...(but do any&all frame mods/repairs/welding first, not
after).

JT/ric

My 109 frame is at the sandblaster here in L.A. along with everything else
steel on the rover.  Bulkhead, galvie bits etc.  I'm just curious how much
you paid for you blasting.  My blasting came to $250 for the works.

Russ and Leslie Wilson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:20:52 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: testing...

...just a test...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:56:12 -0400
From: "James G.Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: where are you?

Has the major been casheerd?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:00:44 -0500
From: "Jablonski, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Chevy V6

I think it was down over the past couple of days....  I've tried to send
messages, but didn't get any responce from Majordomo....  Oh Well,  Seems to
be back up.

- -----Original Message-----
From: car4doc [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 9:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

what has happen to the list....anyone there???
Rob Davis_Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:52:07 -0800
From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Any LRO's in the Columbus Ohio Area

>Hey, if any of you are in the Columbus Ohio area please contact me off-list.
>I need someone to go look at a Norton Commando for me.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mitch

Sorry Mitch, but a Norton Commando being a British Bike will only run at
sea level.  Since you live above 8,000ft you will have to settle for you
Rovers and the occasional snowmobile ride.

Russ and Leslie Wilson

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- --Ronald Reagan  

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:07:25 -0800
From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: galvie / paint

I'm still waiting, and waiting for my stuff to be finished by the galvie
guy.  I'm getting a deal but he's taking a long time to complete this job.
My next headache is to decide if I'm going to attempt to paint/powdercoat
my bulkhead.  Everything else can stay as it is, but a red 109 with a
galvie bulkhead is going to be an odd looking beast.

>I had all the steel bits hot dip galvanized for @ $250...
>Advantages: no prep, no paint, no work and no worry...well no worry for only
>30 years or so...(but do any&all frame mods/repairs/welding first, not
>after).
>
>JT/ric
>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>My 109 frame is at the sandblaster here in L.A. along with everything else
>steel on the rover.  Bulkhead, galvie bits etc.  I'm just curious how much
>you paid for you blasting.  My blasting came to $250 for the works.
>
>Russ and Leslie Wilson

Russ and Leslie Wilson

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- --Ronald Reagan  

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:09:01 -0800
From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: where are you?

>Has the major been casheerd?

At the risk of starting a flood of "me too" msgs ...    I'm getting LRO
just fine.

Russ and Leslie Wilson

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- --Ronald Reagan  

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:39:42 -0600
From: "Kirk Hillman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: LRO dead?

I haven't received any messages since the 22nd.  Is there a problem with the
LRO list or is it my end?

Kirk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:42:26 -0400
From: "Bill Fishel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: galvie / paint

Russ
I've seen 2 Rovers with galvanized bulkheads and they
both made me jealous I didn't do mine when I had the 
chance.
Bill Fishel

- ----------
> From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: LRO: galvie / paint
> Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:07 AM
> 
> I'm still waiting, and waiting for my stuff to be finished by the galvie
> guy.  I'm getting a deal but he's taking a long time to complete this job.
> My next headache is to decide if I'm going to attempt to paint/powdercoat
> my bulkhead.  Everything else can stay as it is, but a red 109 with a
> galvie bulkhead is going to be an odd looking beast.
> 
> 
> >I had all the steel bits hot dip galvanized for @ $250...
> >Advantages: no prep, no paint, no work and no worry...well no worry for only
> >30 years or so...(but do any&all frame mods/repairs/welding first, not
> >after).
> >
> >JT/ric
> >
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >My 109 frame is at the sandblaster here in L.A. along with everything else
> >steel on the rover.  Bulkhead, galvie bits etc.  I'm just curious how much
> >you paid for you blasting.  My blasting came to $250 for the works.
> >
> >Russ and Leslie Wilson
> 
> 
> Russ and Leslie Wilson
> 
> "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
> to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> --Ronald Reagan  
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:45:28 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: another commercial

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:45:00 -0400 Bill Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hmmm. wonder if those tires were running with tubes. That snot 
> always
> makes a total mess when changing tires!

Not to mention it is dangerous.  Propane is a common propellant and the
solvents may be flammable.  A road service worker was killed a few years
age when he was dismounting a tire and the stuff exploded.  If you use it
check the label, if it is flammable tell anyone who may work on the tire
it is in there.  I doubt your insurance would cover the deceased.

Chris hall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:11:31 -0800
From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: galvie / paint

Were they left "bare" or painted?

>Russ
>I've seen 2 Rovers with galvanized bulkheads and they
>both made me jealous I didn't do mine when I had the
>chance.
>Bill Fishel
>
>----------
>> From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Subject: LRO: galvie / paint
>> Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:07 AM
>>
>> I'm still waiting, and waiting for my stuff to be finished by the galvie
>> guy.  I'm getting a deal but he's taking a long time to complete this job.
>> My next headache is to decide if I'm going to attempt to paint/powdercoat
>> my bulkhead.  Everything else can stay as it is, but a red 109 with a
>> galvie bulkhead is going to be an odd looking beast.
>>
>>
>> >I had all the steel bits hot dip galvanized for @ $250...
>> >Advantages: no prep, no paint, no work and no worry...well no worry for
>>only
>> >30 years or so...(but do any&all frame mods/repairs/welding first, not
>> >after).
>> >
>> >JT/ric
>> >
>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> >My 109 frame is at the sandblaster here in L.A. along with everything else
>> >steel on the rover.  Bulkhead, galvie bits etc.  I'm just curious how much
>> >you paid for you blasting.  My blasting came to $250 for the works.
>> >
>> >Russ and Leslie Wilson
>>
>>
>> Russ and Leslie Wilson
>>
>> "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
>> to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
>> --Ronald Reagan
>>

Russ and Leslie Wilson

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- --Ronald Reagan  

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #419
**********************************************